Chapter 17

I took a deep breath and stepped out of the car. It's my first day at Paradisina High School. Brett and I walked in through the doors together, but making sure we weren't walking too close to eachother. If Brett was going to get the job as the principal, he can't be seen displaying affection towards a student.

We walked to the office where the superintendent was waiting for Brett and where a secretary was waiting for me with my class schedule. Brett left me without a word and went into a separate office. He looked back at me and winked, reassuring me everything would be fine. I walked up to the secretary's desk , where an old lady with glasses sat.

"Excuse me? I'm Gertrude Goldsmith. I'm new here." I introduced myself.

"Ah, yes. Gertrude Goldsmith. I have your schedule right here.". She handed me a piece of paper. I looked it over and was pleased with it.

"Thank you."

"My pleasure. Welcome to Paradisina High School. If you like, I can get one of the students to show you around?"

"That won't be necessary, May.". I heard Brett interject. "I would be glad to show our newest student around."

"Why, if it isn't Brett Anderson. I haven't seen you in years. I take it you got the job?"

"You're sure right I did. I'm now Principal Anderson."

"Oh that's wonderful!"

"It is indeed. I better get going and show ms...." Brett trailed off, playing dumb.

"Gertrude Goldsmith."

"I better show Ms. Goldsmith to her first class."

"Do you still remember your way around?" May asked.

"Of course I do. How could I forget?" Brett laughed. "Come on, Gertrude. We better get going."

I followed him out of the office. No one was in the hallway since classes started ten minutes ago. Brett and I got to school late because we fell asleep by the lake last night. We only woke up after the sun had risen and by then we were running late. Funny how time is different between Minnesota and Massachusetts.

"I just noticed that you look like a nerd. I thought you were going look like Bambi in school?"

"I was, but I thought it would be better to look like a nerd in school and then look like a completely different person outside of school. If I look like Bambi outside of school, then it would be easier for us to go out together in public. I mean, the Bambi look and the Gertrude look are completely different."

"That actually makes a lot of sense, and that's smart."

"Mhm. So where's my first class?"

"Let me see your schedule.". Brett instructed. I handed him my schedule and he looked it over. "Math first period? That sucks."

"It may suck for you, but I happen to like math."

"Well then, I guess it's good then?" he chuckled. "But if you like math now, you're gonna love math. You have Mr. Sanders. He's a cool guy. In fact, he was my favorite teacher in high school. Let's see...what else is on your schedule. A bunch of study halls, gym, lunch, and English. Come to my office during lunch so we can eat together. As for the million of study halls you have, I'll be calling you down to my office, so don't get too comfortable there.". He gave my schedule back and we stopped walking in front of room 221. He opened the door and mooned me in. I looked around the room and all eyes were on me and Brett.

"May I help you?". Mr. Sanders asked. He was probably in his mid-forties, but he looked good....not as good as Brett of course.

"Ummm....". I stuttered, being extremely nervous.