Chapter 19

Brett instructed me to wait backstage and he walked on stage to the podium. The room was noisy and full with curious students and their parents.

"Attention! Attention everyone!" Brett said into the microphone and the entire auditorium got quiet. "Welcome students and parents. Thank you for coming today. Most of the parents out there know me and some don't. So I'll start off by introducing myself. My name is Brett Anderson and I'm the new principal of this school. I will remind students to address me as Principal Anderson. Parents, you may address me as Brett since I've known most of you all my life and it would seem wrong for you to address me otherwise. Now, down to business. It's my first day as principal here at my old high school and I'd like to be honest with you all. If what I'm about to tell you causes any chaos or controversy, I will be happy to resign immediately. But if you all accept and welcome what I'm about to tell you, I will stay on as principal. Deal?"

Everyone agreed. Brett waited until they were all silent again before speaking. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and opened them again.

"Gertrude Goldsmith, will you please come up on stage.". He looked over at me, bed the curtains. I slowly walked onto the stage and he met me halfway and took my hand in his. He kissed the top of my hand and led me back over to the podium. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to meet our new student, Gertrude Goldsmith....she also happens to be my girlfriend and I love her with all my heart. I hope everyone can find it in their hearts to accept our relationship. I understand you all will need some time to think this over and I'm fine with that. But I'm not breaking up with my girlfriend no matter what. Thank you for listening. To conclude this assembly, I'm declaring today to be a half day of school. There will be no further classes today and classes will resume tomorrow as usual. At exactly eleven o'clock tomorrow morning, i will be back here in this auditorium to answer any questions or concerns. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day."

And with that said Brett and I walked off the stage and out the doors, leaving the audience in complete utter silence. Neither one of us spoke as we walked to the parking lot and into the car, nor the whole ride back home. Once we got to the house, we walked in together, walked straight upstairs and into our room, ignoring Mary questioning why we were home early. Brett plopped face down onto the bed.

"Brett?"

"Don't. I just need some time to think and mentally prepare myself for tomorrow."

"Alright. I'll be downstairs of you need me.". I replied, concerned about him.

Brett didn't answer me back, so I just left. I found Mary outside, planting a garden.

"Oh, Gertrude. How are you?" she asked.

"I don't know. Brett declared today a half day of school..." I trailed off.

"That's good. The students must love him for that."

"After he told everyone that I'm his girlfriend and that he'd never break up with me and that he'd resign if that's what everyone wanted." I continued.

Mary sighed and put down her gardening tools. "He means well, Gertrude. He just doesn't think sometimes. But I can assure you, he won't have to resign. Folks around here will accept the two of you. Believe me, they all know and love Brett too much to keep him away from the love of his life."

"Are you sure? Mary, I feel like I'm ruining his life. If we never met, then he would still have his teaching job at Whitefield Academy and be the football coach, his life wouldn't be so complicated, and he wouldn't have to worry so much. Maybe it would be better if I wasn't in the picture."

"Dont you ever say that, Gertrude. If anything, you have made his life worth living. You give him purpose, you give him happiness, and he is completely head over heals for you. Don't you go and leave him or this family. That'll only cause havoc around here and sweetheart, you're no heartbreaker, so don't try to be. I understand why you may feel like this now, it in the long run, you'll be glad you didn't give into anything or anyone. Someday, you two will be married and you'll look back in this day and laugh and think how silly you were. You'll tell your children about it and theyll laugh too. Dont you leave. You here me?"