Chapter 13

"Land!!!" I screamed, quietly as we walked out of the airport. "Thank god!"

The plane ride didn't go so well...let's just say, I'm terrified of planes. It was a bumpy plane ride and my ears were popping and ugh!! I hate it. Brett told me that we would never have to go on a plane again.

"Alright miss over extreme, my parents should be around here somewhere." he looked around and finally stopped his eyes. I looked to where he was looking and saw a middle aged couple, smiling uncontrollably, and jumping up and down excitedly. I looked back at Brett who was also smiling uncontrollably. He out his hand on the small of my back and led me over tot he couple. Once there, the woman jumped and hugged Brett. "Hey Mom. I missed you."

"I missed you too. "

They let go of eachother and Brett pulled me beside him. "Mom, Dad....This is Gertrude...My girlfriend."

His parents smile even more and engulfed me in a big hug. "It's nice to finally meet you, Gertrude. You're gonna love our home. We weren't sure what the sleeping arrangements would be, so we left it up for you two to decide. I'm afraid we didn't get any rooms ready. I didn't know if you wanted to share a room with Brett or if you wanted your own, but we can figure that out later. I'm just glad you're here and my son is here and we finally have another girl on the farm."

"Thank you Mary."

"Oh please. Call me Mom. I mean, you're practically family now."

"Ok. Enough, Mary. Hello, Gertrude. I'm Bobby, but you can call me Dad."

I smiled. "It's nice to meet you both."

"Well, I think that's enough dilly dally, let's get you two home."

Bobby..erm...Dad...picked up our suitcases and put them in the back of their red pick-up truck. Brett took my hand and helped me up into the backseat of the truck. He got in after me and then his parents got into the front. Then we drove away from the airport.

"So how was your flight."

"Ummm...fine? I think....well, fine for me. For Gertrude...yeeaaahhhh...not so much."

"Why? What happened?" Mary...Mom...asked, concerned.

"Uh well....."

"I'm terrified of planes." I finished his answer.

"That was only your first time on a plane. I'm sure the next time you'll be perfectly fine." Brett protested.

"There's not gonna be a next time. I'm never getting in a plane again and you can't make me."

Bobby and Mary both laughed silently. They love me already. :D

"So how far is it to the farm?" I asked curiously.

"Oh, about hour or so. Me and Bobby were thinking that we could stop at the mall for a little while. The mall is only another ten minutes. I hope that's ok?"

"Of course, Mom. It's actually works out well because Gertrude needs to get a new wardrobe." Brett replied. "She doesn't have that many clothes...just her old school uniform, a dress or two and the clothes she's wearing now."

"I have more than that, Brett." I scolded.

"Oh right. I forgot about your sweatpants and oversized sweatshirt."

I sighed and looked out the window.

"Don't worry, Gertrude. Us girls can go shopping and those men can go do their own thing. I know every shop in the mall and I think you might like the stores. They have all the latest fashions."

"But don't forget to get clothes you don't mind getting dirty. You're gonna be doing a lot of farm work." Brett added.

"Brett, we hired a nice boy to help with the farm. Gertrude won't have to lift a finger if she doesn't want to." Mary scolded.

"Who is the new farm hand anyway? Do I know him?"

"As a matter of fact you do. You went to high school with him. Jake Singer."

Brett's eyes widened. "I'm sorry. I don't think I heard you correctly. I thought you said Jake Singer."

"I did. Brett, I know you two didn't get along in high school, but you're both grown men now. I'm sure you can become great friends in no time."

"I'm sure we will...that is...if he keeps his filthy hands of my Gertrude."

"Brett!". Mary exclaimed. "Jake is a nice young man."

"Who stole all my girlfriends in high school."

"Well this isn't high school. Is it?"

"Brett, don't worry." I said, trying to stop them from fighting. "The only guy i will ever love is you. Besides, once he sees how much of a nerd I am, he'll be turned off."

"Don't be too sure, Gertrude. You're more beautiful than you give yourself credit."