Chapter 19

**NOT EDITED**

After the night passed I had finally gotten my "sea legs" as Liam liked to call them. Then I was really able to appreciate the view we all had from the ship. Before us was a seemingly endless expanse of water and in the distance the grey clouds seemed to touch the surface of the water, dark water against grey skies. I peered over the wooden edge of the ship to look into the depths of the nearly black ocean fifteen feet below me. It was churning up against the edge of the ship, and if I watched it for too long I would get motion sickness again but I was captivated by the stories my father used to tell me of creatures who lived in the ocean.

As if my Dad could sense what I was thinking, he came up to my side, resting his elbows on the edge I was leaning over.

"Do you think they still live there?" I asked.

"Who?" he said after a short pause.

"The sea creatures you told me about when I was little."

"Of course!" Liam nearly yelled from behind me. I squealed and clenched onto the ledge in fright. For such a big man he sure knows how to sneak up on someone. "Remember, the ocean took over most of the land. The animals of the sea have thrived since we have left them alone!"

"Why haven't I ever seen one before then?" I pointed out.

"For one Sophie, you have never seen the ocean before. Secondly, they have learned to avoid humans. They used to be curious whenever we would venture into the waters but after all we did to them they know we mean bad business."

I sighed and turned my attention back to the water. "How do you know so much, Liam?"

I checked over my shoulder and sure enough he had a cheeky grin on. "Because I do my own research, Sophie. Just think of how much you have learned already in the small amount of time you have stopped listening to the leaders. I have not listened to the leaders a day in my life."

"But you are a leader yourself. What and who do you tell your people to listen to?"

"Their hearts." he replied simply, shrugging.

My eyes automatically lifted and found Damien sitting on the deck, soaking in the view like everyone else. Liam and my father both followed my gaze. Liam chuckled and my Dad sighed.

"What if my heart is telling me two different things?" I asked suddenly.

Liam's eyebrows shot up. "Is there another man in your life I don't know about?"

"No!" I exclaimed.

"If this is you confessing your attraction for me my little rebel, I have to break the bad news to you. I am a married man."

"Liam!" I hissed between my teeth. "You know that's not what I mean." I struggled to keep a straight face on.

He laughed at me then took my hands in his. "You're heart can only say one thing at a time. You are mixing up two different voices, my dear. Your heart and your head. Eventually one voice will drown out the other. Then you will know you have made your decision."

The days on board ship seemed to pass slowly but I didn't mind. It was nice for a change of pace, and I had never been more at peace than here on this ship. Damien and I however didn't talk to each other much although it was impossible not to run into each other every day on the ship. It seemed like he was thinking of a million things other than him and I. Which was fine. Really. But every time I looked at him I felt a deep sadness like I had already lost him to this war, even though he was standing just a few feet away from me. I knew I was being ridiculous but I couldn't help but feel a sense of dread.