Chapter 2

Chapter Two

I woke up just before the sun started to rise, yawning loudly whilst stretching in bed. 

"Good morning."

I squeaked and nearly fell off the bed. I peeked out from the bedsheets and scrutinized him. "Don't scare me like that." I said in a groggy voice. 

"I apologize. I was merely wishing my master a good morning."

I sighed and pulled lightly on my hair in frustration. "You'll please me if you stop calling me master, Damien. It's Sophie. Sound it out with me. SO-PH-IE!"

He mimicked the syllables of my name and I gave him a congratulatory clap. "Very good."

"I don't think it's wise, Sophie to call you by your birth name in public. It would seem strange to others and might attract unwanted attention." he pointed out.

I imagined the look on Mr. Poke's face if he heard Damien call me by my first name. He would probably turn red in the face like he always does when he's angry, order people around, throw some shit and make his servants clean up the mess he made.

I sighed again. "Fine, call me what you wish in public, but here in my house call me Sophie. Kapeesh,big boy?"

He nodded mutely. My little room felt even smaller with Damien standing in it. If he stretched his arms above his head he would be able to touch the ceiling without a problem, and his muscular stature seemed to dwarf my brown dresser.

He kept standing there, not moving a muscle until I realized that I would have to tell him to go before he would leave.

"I have to get changed." I said pointedly.

"Okay."

"That's your cue to get out."

He just stood there. 

When Wendy said that he was known for being disobedient I didn't know she meant like this! Robots are programmed to obey the orders of humans even if they say to put a gun to their head and pull the trigger...that's what they do.

I stared up at Damien in disbelief. I had no idea what to do now that he was refusing to leave. I had no experience whatsoever in dealing with robots and stubborn ones at that. My sister's robot, Eric follows at her heels like a puppy, always aiming to please her in every which way. Ugh, why couldn't she give me a robot like Eric?

Probably because she knows that you'd want to snap his neck if he followed you around like that, a little voice in my head said. I decided to ignore that little voice - and Damien - so I flopped out of bed and grabbed random articles of clothing from my closet. I could still feel his piercing eyes on my back the entire time. 

"Would you stop staring at me!" I snapped, whipping around to glare at him.

He shifted his gaze from me to outside my window, making me feel like a total bitch. How the hell do people deal with these robots? If they can't feel hurt or rejection, why feel guilty for snapping at him like that? It's not like he knows the difference. I tried to reason with myself that Damien didn't know the difference but there was a feeling in the pit of my stomach. No matter if he's a robot or not, he should still be treated with respect.

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you like that. It's just...it's a little to early and I took it out on you."

"Maybe I can help you relieve some tension." 

I stared at him dumbfounded.

"No thank you, Damien. I don't have any tension."

He shrugged, looking like he didn't quite believe me.