Chapter 10

Chapter 10

There's nothing like a cold wash in the river. I shivered as the wind blew against me causing goose bumps to travel along my body. Damien was cleaning up the camp and putting all of our things back into the bags. I tried to wash as quickly as I could and still get the sweat off me from all that running we did last night. We were able to outrun the sound of the alarm and as I listened now all I could hear was the rustling of the leaves in the wind.

I crawled out of the ice cold water, then reached for the towel I had hung on a nearby branch and dried off. I quickly got dressed back into the men's travel clothes I had scrounged out of Gringer's thrift shop last week, itching as the course fabric scratched against my skin. The sound of footsteps approached me and I was about to dash behind a tree until Damien appeared.

"You scared me!" I exclaimed.

"Sorry."

He gave me a smirk so I just rolled my eyes at him while pulling my hair up into a pony tail for easier travelling.

"We should get going now before the trackers get our scent again." he suggested.

I nodded and he grabbed my hand, leading us North. It was our second day of travelling and my very first day out of the town limits. Nobody is allowed to leave the town without permission so the whole thing was new to me but so far the scenery didn't change much. All we could see were trees, trees, and more trees. I hadn't run across any animals yet but bugs were swarming around our heads and I found myself swatting at them constantly.

"These damn bugs!" I grumbled, trying to squish a particularly annoying bug between my hands.

Damien gave me an amused look out of the corner of his eye so I smacked him on the arm. "I'm not used to all of these bugs, alright!"

"Well you won't have to worry about them in the North. It's too cold out there for bugs." he said.

I raised my eyebrows and Damien came to a complete stop, shook his head and carried on walking. "I don't know how I knew that, but my memories are still slowly coming back."

"I hope they come sooner rather than later. We need to know what we're going up against. Is it the scientists? The Leader? Or something entirely different? And do we have another reason for going to the North besides running away from our planned out lives in town?" I rambled.

Damien slung his arm around my shoulders and pulled me up against his side as we walked. "You know, you ask way too many questions. You're mind is like a freight train, it doesn't stop for anything and it travels at a fast pace."

"But these are all questions we need answered Damien." I said seriously. "We can't jump in head first and pray that we make it out alive."

He sighed and remained silent, making me feel bad for killing the good mood but if someone here needed to face reality it was me, and I sure as hell wasn't going to face it alone.

"We are going to the North because we want to be together. Forever." he began. "We are going to the North because we want to find out who I am. We are going to the North because we want to find out who is creating the robots and how. And to see if we can put a stop to it. And who knows what else we're going to the North for. There's probably a lot more we are going for than we actually know. But the first step is actually making it there."

For once words evaded me and I just pressed my lips shut and nodded my head in understanding. He was right. We don't even know half of what we are going to do once we get there because we don't even know what is there. We need to make it there first before we can even come up with a plan.