Chapter 8

A/N: Dedicated to Cajpenguina for all of those awesome comments!! It's people like you who make me want to keep writing! Thank you! :)

Chapter Eight

I couldn't take my eyes off the black pistol until Damien jumped in front of me to block my view, his arms stretched out on either side of me.

"Damien, don't!" I whispered between clenched teeth.

If Mr. Poke knew Damien was protecting me instinctively then he'd know something was up with robots, and we can't have that. It would just be another obstacle to overcome.

"Move out of the way, you filthy robot!" Mr. Poke bellowed.

"I cannot. My Master has ordered me to protect her." he replied in monotone.

Mr. Poke let out a grunt of frustration and shook the gun at us. Please don't shoot, please don't shoot! I chanted in my head. We were about to be killed and it was all my fault. I should have listened to Damien and waited or at least done this somewhere where nobody could have snuck up on us.

Mr. Poke's index finger moved to the trigger and I clenched onto Damien's shoulders, trying to get my brain to work under these circumstances. I had to think of something, and fast or we would both be killed.

"Wait!" I cried out, jumping out from behind Damien's protective body. He reached out to grab me but I effectively dodged him. "Do not touch me, robot!" I snapped. Damien flinched before his face hardened and he let his hand fall back to his side. I ignored the look of hurt of his face, turning to address Mr. Poke with as much confidence as I could while completely naked.

"There seems to be a misunderstanding here." I began. "You see, my robot and I were just...well, having sex to put it bluntly. The last time I checked, it isn't a crime to sleep with your robot, in fact, that was my sole reason for buying him. But it is a crime to kill a human in cold blood." I pointed out, nodding towards his gun.

Mr. Poke suddenly threw back his head and started to laugh in such a maniacal way that I began to fear the worst.

"I may have lost weight while I was with the Leader, but I also gained knowledge. I know everything there is to know about robots and their pathetic emotions. It didn't help that I heard your sick confession of love for a man made of nothing but wire and computer hardware. You can't connive your way out of this one Miss Johnson." He moved forward, and with a speed I couldn't fathom, grabbed onto my upper arm and jerked me so close that I could smell his fishy breath.

"Let go of me!" I yelled, trying to yank my arm out of his grasp. He pointed the gun to my head and effectively stopped any more struggle that I had in me.

"There is one way you can save yourself and your robot too." he said.

"And what exactly do you want me to do?" I growled.

"Become my wife."

My stomach churned violently at the thought of marrying a man like Mr. Poke. I couldn't do it just after making love to Damien, but looking over at him standing there helpless I knew that I had to. I bit back my tears, determined not to show any weakness in front of Mr. Poke.

"Fine. I'll do it."

He chuckled. "That's a good girl. You can remain in your home along with your robot for the time being. I need to properly propose in public before we announce our engagement. Don't do anything stupid though. I'll be watching you."

He gave me one last hard look and I glared right back at him before he turned on his heel and disappeared back into the trees. My knees shook beneath me and I collapsed onto the ground in a heap of tears. Damien was at my side in an instant, wrapping his arms around me comfortingly.

"I didn't mean anything I said, I swear!" I sobbed. "Please believe me Damien, the only thing I meant was when I told you I loved you!"

"Sh. I know, Sophie. It'll all be okay." he soothed.

My chest constricted painfully to the point where I felt like I couldn't breathe, so I held onto Damien with everything I had, trying to keep from falling apart completely. Despite everything we had been through, Damien and I would never work out, and we both knew it from the beginning. My unfortunate fate is to marry Mr. Poke, and Damien's is to struggle with his memories of his human life.

"I won't let him take you Sophie." he whispered into my ear. "I promise."

He sounded so determined but I knew it was a promise he would never be able to keep.

-----------------

When we got back to the house, silence filled every room. There was nothing we could really say to each other that would make any difference. We were being torn apart and nothing could help us right now...expect maybe...

"Damien!" I whispered in a hushed voice. "Let's go to the North!"

His head shot up and he scanned the room skeptically. "Right now?" he asked.

I scoffed. "Of course not, we don't have enough supplies to go now! But it'll be a week or so before Mr. Poke proposes. I'm assuming he's going to do it at the stupid dinner he invited me to. We have at least seven days to gather supplies and run."

Something close to excitement built up in my stomach. Damien and I can be together in the North! Nobody will find us there, and while we're there we can look for the building and try to recover Damien's memories. It's a foolproof plan.

"Where are we going to get all of the supplies?"

"From Gringer." I replied. "He'll give us everything we need. We already have the winter coats but we need more warm clothing like hats and mitts, boots, scarfs and we also need food that we can carry easily that won't go bad quickly. We can do this, Damien. We have to do this if we want to be together. You do want to be with me...right?"

He gave me a toothless smile and grabbed onto my hand before pressing a kiss to the back of it.

"There isn't anything in the world I want more than to spend the rest of my life with you."

My heart raced in my chest as a blush crept up to my cheeks. I was pretty sure that my entire face was red but I was too happy to care.

I made a mental note in my head of what we needed to accomplish before the end of the week in order for all of this to work. Step one: Get supplies from Gringer. Step two: Find a way to leave this town without being spotted. Step three: Run.

I looked at Damien who sat beside me, still holding my hand, and I knew we needed to do this. I couldn't live without Damien now that we've just found each other. I would do anything to be with him. Anything.

----------------

A/N: Sorry it's so short. I will definitely make the next one longer to make up for this chapter :) Hope you liked it nonetheless!