Fight

Iggy's POV

Eighty years ago, loggers had used a makeshift cabin nearby as a base during logging season. Abandoned for the last thirty years, it was practically in ruins. Which made it an especially good clubhouse for the flock. 

"So Phase One is complete...we haven't been here in ages" i said, sitting in a broken plastic lawn chair. i sniffed the air. still smelled like crap. 

"Uh-uh, In case you're wondering, it's still a dump." Gazzy said.

"It's always been a dump, That's why we like it." i said.

"Man, I can't get over it-that tarp full of oil so totally wiped the Hummer out, It was kind of-scary. To really do it." Gazzy said. 

I opened the backpack and took out Big Boy, running my sensitive fingers over the clock duct-taped to the explosive package.

"We have to eliminate the Erasers, So they can't ever hurt us again." i said. 

"So they can't ever take Angel and Kass again, I say we bomb the chopper." Gazzy said.

I nodded and stood up. "Yeah. Listen, let's get out of here, get back home, make more plans." i said. 

In the next instant, the faintest vibration of the floorboards made me freeze. 

"Did you hear?" the Gasman whispered, and I nodded, holding up his hand. "Maybe a raccoon-"

"Not in the daytime," I barely mouthed back.

A slight scratching on the door made my blood run cold. 

"Little pigs, little pigs, let me come in." The whispered voice, serene and angelic, seemed to float through the cracks in the door like poisonous smoke. It was an Eraser's voice, a voice that could ask you to jump off a cliff and you'd do it.

The Eraser scratched at the door again, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Crash! The door burst open, splintered wood flying through the air like darts.

"Eight o'clock!" the Gasman whispered, telling me where the window was as my brain registered the hulking Eraser filling the doorway. my muscles tensed for the leap through the window-but its light was suddenly blocked by a huge, grinning head.

"Hey, piggy, piggy, piggy," a second Eraser taunted through the dirt-clouded glass.

Years of Max-enforced training kicked in as adrenaline sped through my body. Door blocked. Window blocked. They were surrounded, with no clean escape available. It was going to be a tight, he realized, already preparing himself.

More than likely a fight to the death.

No matter how quickly the Erasers killed them, I was sure it would feel like forever.

"Up and away," I breathed, inching slightly closer to him.

Crash! i felt Gazzy jumped as the window behind him shattered with a shower of glass and broken wood. An Eraser pushed through the ragged opening with a silent grin.

"Guess what? We got the little one-they don't need you two alive." an eraser said. 

only the little one? where was Kassidy? my blood ran cold and scowled towards the direction towards them.

"Boys, boys, Didn't anyone ever tell you? You can run, but you can't hide." the eraser asked. 

"Ready?" I asked.

my voice was so faint, my lips so still, i wasn't fully sure if he heard me. Every second seemed oddly stretched out. my hands closed into fists by my sides. He was ready. Sure.

"This freak's blind," one Eraser said, gesturing toward me. "Don't worry, kid. It'll all be over soon, and you won't have to worry about being blind anymore. But it's a shame they didn't give you one of their new eyes-like mine."

The Erasers laughed.

"You left before they could fix you up with the latest technology," one said. "Your loss."

"How about it, piggies? Do you want to try to run? Who knows-you might get lucky. For a little while." the eraser said.

Grinning with anticipation, the Eraser drew closer.

"On three."

"One."

"Two."

"Three!" i shouted, 

the Gasman leaped straight into the air, unfurling his wings with a huge whoosh. With a roar of anger, one Eraser grabbed the Gasman's foot and yanked. Above him, I burst through the rotting roof of the cabin, out into the sky. 

"Gasser! Move!" i shouted, 

Just as i slid over the edge of the roof, the Gasman spread his wings . I threw a package down into the cabin.

"Move, move, move!" I yelled, flapping like crazy. Within seconds, we were a hundred yards away.

Boom! Only it was more like ba-ba-boooooom!

we recoiled from the blast, tumbling backward in the air from the shock wave. i was speechless.

"Well, that takes care of them." i mumbled.

"Unless they escaped," Iggy added.

Of course I hadn't seen anything. The Gasman cleared his throat.

 "No," he said. "They're dead." Gazzy said.

i felt slightly queasy, guilty, and dirty. Then i remembered Kassidy, how they shared a night on the roof top together. She was so small, and God only knew what horrible things they were doing to her. His jaw hardened.

"Take that,. That was for my sister, for Angel, you scum-sucking jerks." Gazzy mumbled.

we had to move soon.