Solutions

Kassidy's POV

i was sitting on my bed, not feeling like doing much. i had been training for the past week, Max and them still have not rescued Angel, which annoys me, why were they taking so long? i know Ari can't protect Angel too much or they'll know.

Angel is a strong girl and we've been talking through our mind link and i told her my plan, which she took her time on agreeing with, but she agrees none the less. 

she understand why i cant' go with the flock now, she saw what i could do...she finally saw what i meant by it.

i would miss the flock terribly....but it's for their best intentions...i will miss them dearly, i will. I'll Iggy most of all. i don't like thinking of him that much because when i think of him, i think of his strawberry blonde hair, how it's always in his eyes, how I'd always push it back. I'll miss his eyes, they were foggy, but they were also blue, my favorite color. I'll miss his pink lips, how he'd bite them, when he got mad they'd disappear...i love how they felt, every single time. I'll miss his freckles, they were adorable...so adorable. 

i blink back tears and shook my head, i couldn't do this, not to him. i felt fresh tears come to my eyes and i wipe them away, i couldn't cry. 

i hear the door open and i look up emotionless and Jeb sits across from me. he set a tray of food in front of me and i look at it. 

"so, he's my father?" i asked quietly.

"biologically, yes" Jeb said nodding.

"and you're my uncle then, if you two are brothers" i said quietly. 

"yes" Jeb said nodding.

"...why did he give me away?" i asked.

"for a greater purpose...Kassidy, you are meant to do so much more" Jeb said. 

"like what? i want to know, i need to know" i said.

"...Max is meant to save the world, and for that, she'll need protection" Jeb said.

"so...you need me to protect her" i said. 

"be her guardian angel" Jeb said.

"...when will they be here?" i asked quietly. 

"soon, i can feel it" Jeb said. 

"promise they won't get hurt?" i whispered.

"always" Jeb said.

"...what happened to my father?" i asked. 

"he's put away for now...you want to talk to him, don't you?" Jeb asked.

"not yet...i can't face him yet, I'm not strong emotionally" i said. 

"makes sense" Jeb said.

"how is Angel?" i asked.

"she's good, passing all the test" Jeb said.

"good" i said nodding.

"...you didn't have to say good bye to Angel, you'll be with them again some day" Alec said.

"yes, but i don't know when...it's better say good bye just in case there isn't another time to say it" i said quietly. 

"good point" Jeb said.

"so, when am i training again?" i asked.

"soon" Jeb said standing up.

he squeezed my shoulder before leaving. 

Iggy's POV

"Come on, come on," the Gasman mumbled.

i frowned, trying to listen to what was happening. 

"What's happening? Tell me everything." i said frowning. 

It was about early morning, and we've been perched near the top of an old-growth pine overlooking one of the abandoned logging roads. we had cased the situation, and the Gasman had been right: At least two Erasers, maybe more, had set up a rough camp not far from where the helicopter had landed. It seemed clear they were looking for the rest of us. It didn't matter whether they wanted to kill us or only kidnap us: Capture was unthinkable.

"The Hummer's coming," the Gasman said under his breath.

"On the right road?" i asked frowning.

"Uh-huh. And they're driving too fast." The Gasman said. i gave a tight, worried smile.

"They're not practicing safe driving habits. Tsk. What a shame." i mumbled. 

"Okay, they're coming up...Another quarter mile." Gazzy said. 

"Can you see the tarp?" i asked. 

"No." Gazzy said. 

"Any second now," Gazzy whispered to me, i was practically vibrating with excitement.

"Hope they're wearing their seat belts. Not!" i said smirking. 

Then it happened.

It was like listening to a movie. One second, the boxy black vehicle was tearing along the road, and the next second, it swerved violently to the left with an audible squealing of brakes. It began a slow, graceless series of jerky spins down the road, then gave an unexpected jump toward the trees on one side. It hit the trees at an angle and went airborne, sailing upside down about fifteen feet before landing with a heavy crunching sound.

"Whoa, That was incredible." Gazzy mumbled. 

"You have two seconds to give me the picture," I said irritably.

"It hit the oil, all right. It spun, hit the trees, and did a flip, Now it's on its back, like a big, ugly, dead beetle." Gazzy said. 

"Yes!" I said. i punched the air, making their branch sway. "Signs of life?"

"Uh... oh, yeah. Yeah, one of them just punched out a window. Now they're climbing out. They look pretty dang mad. They're walking, so they're not that hurt." Gazzy said. 

"Shoot. Any point in dropping Big Boy on them right now?" Iggy mumbled. 

 "I don't think so. They're talking on walkie-talkies. Now they're heading straight into the woods. We'd probably cause a huge forest fire or something." Gazzy said. 

"Hmm. Okay. We need to regroup, come up with Phase Two. How about we hang at the old cabin for a minute?" i asked. 

"Cool, Let's go. We've done enough good for one day."