Part Twenty-Nine

[A/N]: ALL MY FICS ENTERED IN THE BROMANCE AWARDS MADE IT THROUGH. I LOVE ALL OF YOU SO MUCH. This chapter is dedicated to InkingLarry bc I love her and bc she made the cool cover in the multimedia! :D

Harry stayed all day with Louis since he'd left him for a few hours the day before. He helped the older man stand in the bathroom so he could shave, read to him, and constantly stole little kisses when their mothers and the nurses weren't looking. He left the hospital after Louis had fallen asleep, and made sure not to take his pain medicine before he went to bed. His dream was much too fresh in his mind to experience another one. Because he knew that if he did have another, he was never leaving Louis' side again.

He had a dreamless sleep, however, and still woke up bright and early to drag his mum back to the hospital. The lad felt anxious, too anxious to eat fruit his mother offered him. Agent Murs would be coming to the hospital to talk to Louis, Harry was sure of it. He sat in the passenger seat as his mother drove him to the hospital, bouncing his leg and nervously running his fingers over his stitches.

"Harry, cut that out," his mother frowned disapprovingly. "You're going to loosen them."

"Agent Murs is coming to talk to Louis today."

Anne nodded, "Yes dear, I know."

"About Louis' case," Harry murmured. "And what if Agent Payne is making him ask certain questions? I mean, Olly did have to go talk to him so like-"

"I think you're just worrying yourself," Anne insisted. "Everything is going to go just fine. Louis is probably just as nervous as you are, he was nervous the instant you told him Agent Murs had to talk to him."

"He just doesn't want to like... argue. He's afraid he'll have to fight to defend himself," Harry explained. "And I know that if he did have to he probably wouldn't."

"He seems fairly good at fighting to defend himself when it comes to you," Anne chuckled. "Literally every insult competition you two get in he's shooting out comments left and right."

Harry smiled at that, "Yeah... for someone who hates conflict he seems to enjoy bickering with me."

"But I suppose that's not serious bickering," Anne pursed her lips. "And everything that could be offensive he always backs up with a fond look, or a touch, or a kiss... you all really are the sweetest things to watch. I'm so glad that my baby boy is happy."

Harry blushed at that, "Mother, I'm twenty-two..."

"Still my baby," she declared.

They arrived at the hospital at about 8am, heading straight to Louis' room. The man was seated on the side of his bed, shirtless but in sweats, no longer a gown. A doctor stood in front of Louis, and Louis occasionally winced, his eyes shut. Jay was watching anxiously, and Harry slipped into the room with Anne close behind him. He didn't want to say anything, nervous that he would frighten Louis into jumping.

Louis opened one eye, however, and his once slightly pained expression twisted into a tight grin, "Eg- Agent Styles."

The doctor turned his head and offered Harry and his mother a grin, "Hello. We're removing Mr. Tomlinson's sutures."

"Hurts," Louis nodded, his face twisting into a grimace as the doctor went back to work once more.

Harry stepped anxiously closer, concerned for his boyfriend, and was allowed a better view of Louis' side. Louis' ribs looked somewhat similar to Harry's arm, yet the skin under and surrounding his stitches was the color of a healing bruise, and Louis of course had received surgery, leaving a raised line above and below where he'd been shot.