Chapter 43

Chapter 43

It was like time stood still at that moment – their eyes speak a thousand words and yet no such thing came out of their mouth. Thousands of question and yet, here they are standing like its suicide if those question came out. It took a minute before Min-ah breaks into a smile, her lips quirking upwards into one of genuine happiness, surprising Luhan.

"Really?" She chuckles softly. "I'm glad."

Her response caught him off guard. Knowing Min-ah, he knows she's going to make a scene, freak out even. Luhan imagined a lot of different scenarios when this encounter ever happened. But out of all he thought of, not one did come out. Instead, he sees Min-ah smiling and she looks... happy? Relieved? Luhan's chest clenches.

He doesn't want to look desperate so turns around and grabs a random glass, moving to the fridge to get cold water. "Thank you." He said, voice in a hush whisper.

"I just wanted to let you know that the family never forbid any employee to date. Now that you are, don't let that affect your job. It's important to separate business from personal problems."

Luhan stills for a minute before tilting the pitcher, pouring the water on the glass. "I'm sorry if it's too sudden. I –"

"Why would you be sorry?" Min-ah chuckles, a little too louder this time. "Liking someone..." she trails. "You should never be sorry for liking someone."

Before he could even reply, he hears a two consecutive knocks on the wooden wall. He sees Minseok giving them a cheerful smile – widening when he sees Min-ah. He looks oblivious of the tension in the room and Luhan is thankful for that. He doesn't want the elder to worry about him.

"You're already here." Minseok wraps her in a brief hug. "Your father is looking for you." He pulls away, holding her by the wrist. "Come on."

Luhan turns to give her a small smile before looking down on the cold glass of water wrapped around his fingers. Min-ah looks like she wanted to say something but she decided against it the last second and looks at Minseok instead, taking a step forward to follow him.

Why did Luhan turn around? He doesn't know. Maybe he's afraid that her affection is nothing but a misunderstanding – actions that he read wrong again. He's afraid that this affection he harbors will be nothing but a one-sided thing. He doesn't want that. He couldn't... bear to see and will be only left with the feeling of rejection.

But what he doesn't know, is that maybe... maybe if he didn't then things would have gone different. He might see how Min-ah looks broken behind the smile and words she had left and he could have made things right then.

If he didn't then maybe... things would have ended fine.