Chapter Twenty Five

Detective Brown winds the bandage around my hand and wrist, while Agent Sol keeps a firm grip on my arms, even though I have no desire to run again.
I keep my gaze fixed on the crimson bloodstain on the padded floor of what was my cell, the electroshock device just to left of it, taunting me.
"All done", the detective says. "You're okay."
I say nothing as he stands and walks to the bed in the room, grabbing something before coming back.
"Mr. Mandela left this for us to find", he says to me, handing over a cell phone. "It's password protected. Think you can unlock it for us?"
I nod my head slowly and looking down at the black screen and press the power button.

TheDuskKiller, I type, using the first words that come into my head.

Wrong Password. Please try again.

I sigh and think for a moment.

Cupcake.

Same notification.

TheresaMoore

Wrong again.
Then it hits me. If I became a serial killer, authorities must have given me some sort of nickname to call me in public.
"What did people call me?", I ask without looking up.
"What?"
"What did people call me as a serial killer?"
"The Sunset Killer", Sol replies. "Most of your victims seemed to be dumped at sunset."

TheSunsetKiller

The phone unlocks and I see a video pop up. Without watching it, I hand it over to Detective Brown, who presses the screen.
"Hello authorities of New York City", Jake's voice says, making me flinch. "I know you have my dear Sunset Killer in your custody. You might want to hand her over as soon as possible, at least, unless you want an entire family to die."
The detective covers his mouth with one hand in shock, his hazel eyes never leaving the device.
There's a muffled scream from the background, then the sound of a hand connecting to someone's cheek.
"If you want these citizens to survive, you'll bring the Sunset Killer to me for a trade", he continues. "The location will be presented to you in two days, as well as the other requirements I have in place. Better follow all of the rules, or six people die. Until then."
Silence.
Brown's eyes, look down at me, sitting on the floor, still handcuffed with Sol holding onto me.
"Is he serious?", he growls to me. "Will he do that just to get you back?"
I nod my head silently.
"We have to do it." Detective Brown looks down at me. "We don't have a choice."
"There has to be another way", Sol argues, hoisting me back to my feet as he stands up. "We can't just give up our biggest asset in the case."
"You have to", I break in, swaying slightly on my feet. "I have a score to settle, and you have people to save. We both win."
"Not going to happen", the agent snaps. "We have two days to figure it out."
"There is no other way", I singsong. "The longer I'm in custody, the more people that die."
---------
I'm going to be ending this book soon, maybe the next chapter, but once I am finished with this, I will begin writing Morona's story: The Dusk Killer,

"---------I'm going to be ending this book soon, maybe the next chapter, but once I am finished with this, I will begin writing Morona's story: The Dusk Killer,

as well as the third and final book of the Insanity trilogy: State Of Mind

So thank you all so much for your support; it means the world to me.
- Elise