Chapter Two

"Are we there yet?", Gemma whines, kicking the back of my seat. "I'm sooo bored!"
"Not yet, Raspberry", Noah answers. "But we can stop at the gas station soon to get a book or something for you to do if you want."
I look out the window, banging my head against the head rest. Usually by this time, Morona and I are burying the body and feeding the urge.
"I feel it too", Morona says to me. "It's time. Noah, you have to drive faster."
"I'm going as fast as I can without going over the speed limit", he replies. "I don't want to get pulled over and have a police officer see a young woman in a straitjacket strapped into the passenger seat."
"We should get a blanket for that", Morona suggests. ""That or-"
"We are not killing anyone else today", Noah interrupts. "You can make it for a while longer, right, Theresa?"
I bang my head on the seat again, moaning as I arch my back and start struggling.
"I have a question", the driver says, keeping an eye on me in his peripheral vision. "How is the urge worse for Theresa?"
"Because I fed it more, I guess", Morona answers thoughtfully. "I actually don't know."
Blood. Want blood-
"-Now!", I cry, jerking around. "Die!"
"Theresa, shut up!", Gemma says into my ear, kicking the seat again. "Now!"
"Hold on", Morona mutters. "I have just the thing in the bag under the seat."
"What did you bring?", Noah questions. "Did you bring a dead body?"
"No. I brought a thermos."
He groans. "Of course you did."
"I thought I'd bring it as a precaution", she replies defensively. "And not just for her. I have needs too."
He sighs as my friend pours some of the red liquid into the metal lid, leaning over to let me drink.
"More?", I ask, licking my lips when I'm finished. "More?"
"No", Morona replies, lightly hitting the top of my head. "I need some too."
I pout, but don't complain, relaxing as the urge lessens slightly.
"When did you put blood in a thermos anyway?", Gemma asks. "Or did you know we would have to leave?"
"Always keep a thermos full of blood handy", the woman replies. "And I did it when I killed last. That's what I always do."
"Can I have some?"
"No", the man interjects. "The last thing you are going to do is drink blood and vomit in the car. Again."
"I won't vomit this time, Baby. I promise."
"If you vomit on me again, I'm going to strangle you", I break in. "Can someone take the jacket off now? I'll be good."
"You literally just threatened to kill my girlfriend", Noah chuckles. "Yeah, not going to happen."
"Morona gets to have her arms free and she's crazier than I am", I argue. "Why can't she wear it?"
"Because I can actually ignore the fucking voices, dumbass."
"Shut up", I snap. "It isn't fair."
"Life isn't fair. Get used to it."
I try another point. "People are going to get suspicious if I'm wearing it."
"I-uh.... yeah I can't argue with that", he sighs. "There's a gas station at the next exit, we'll get gas, some amusement and I'll take it off, okay? Can you last that long?"
"Probably." I bury my face in my shoulder, rubbing my nose on the cotton to get rid of an itch. "But I don't want to wait."
"Well patience is a virtue. You should learn it."
I sigh and stop talking, choosing not to argue with what I already know.