Chapter Nineteen

"Please", the woman begs, her clothes already splattered with blood from where I clocked her. The chains rattle as she shakes in panic, the flight or fight response already beginning in her brain. "I've done nothing to you; just let me go!"
I sigh, pacing in front of her, twirling the scalpel in my hand, smiling at the memory of my first kill before beginning to ask my questions.
"What's your name?", I ask with a sigh, catching Morona's eye from where she stands beside the stairs, Samantha watching the scene with a horrified expression on her face.
"Why would I tell you?!", the prisoner spits. I wipe it off my face with a grin, stopping to cradle the stranger's chin with one hand.
"Because you're dying either way. But, if you answer my questions, I'll make it quick."
"Burn in hell, motherfucker."
I lick my lips and as quick as a gust of wind, slam the scalpel into the woman's knee, making her scream in pain as I twist the blade from inside her body.
"Wanna try again?", I ask over the loud noise. "I can do this all day."
"Don't worry", I hear Morona say behind me. "The walls are soundproofed."
"Melina", the young woman gasps through the pain. "My name is Melina."
"See? It wasn't hard." I pause, then pull a picture out of my back pocket, showing it to the victim. "Know this guy?"
"N-No", she stammers, blinking at the picture of Jake. "Who is he?"
I twist the blade inside her leg again and she cries out, "Alright, fine! I know him!"
"His name is Jake Mendala", I say, sounding bored. "And he wants me to be the next Dusk Killer. Why?"
"We-We're terrorists", Melina says. "Set on destroying New York City and then spreading fear throughout the United States. Then we'll overthrow the president."
"How do I fit into this?", I growl, pulling the scalpel out of her leg and positioning it on her cheek.
"You'll be the symbol of the terrorism", she gasps, whimpering as the metal point scrapes her cheek. "The weapon."
I laugh, carving a line into her face, leaning in closer, breathing in the scent of warm metallic blood as I whisper in my enemy's ear, "I'll make sure you fail. See you all in hell."
Then I stab her through the heart, silently watching Melina cough up blood and slowly bleed out, her body hanging limp against the chains, chin hitting her bloody chest.
A small smile crosses my lips as I examine my handiwork, leaving my weapon in the woman's chest as I stroll over to Morona, head held high.
"Enough torture for you?", I ask, recalling our conversation the day we had to move. "I thought so."
She grins at me, brushing past with the thermos in her hand, letting blood drip into the container as she answers my question.
"You have it now", my friend says, her tone pleased as she speaks. "You didn't before, but you do now."
"Have what?", I snap, clenching my wet hands into fists. "Nothing has changed."
"On the contrary, everything has changed", Morona answers, trailing a finger down the corpse's face, laughing. "Before, the only reason you had to kill was to have peace. That part of you is gone."
"Then why am I killing?", I ask, stepping across the basement floor to join my friend and mentor. "What do I have to gain?"
"You're killing to live", she says. "You have a drive now. Do you know what that is?"
"No."
"Revenge."
"What's your drive?", I ask her, watching the woman take a swig of the red water before handing it to me.
She just smiles at me, slowly walking away as I give in to feeding the urge.