Chapter Fourteen

"So", Noah says after a long while, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, glancing to the right, looking at me from where I'm curled up in the passenger seat. "Who wants to tell us exactly what's going on?"
My mother clears her throat behind me and replies, "All I know is that after eleven years of imprisonment, I'm suddenly tied to a chair in a small room with my daughter, who for some reason kills a man right and front of me. I know next to nothing."
"Wasn't my fault, I murmur sleepily, burying my face in my knees. "Didn't have a choice."
"That's what I don't understand!"
"Long story."
"We have time", Samantha replies. "Start talking."
I squeeze my eyes closed and start rocking back and forth on the seat, keeping my mouth firmly shut.
"Let's just focus on what has been recently happening", Noah suggests. "Is that alright with you, Ms. Moore?"
"Of course", she says. "And you can just call me Samantha, Mr. Rahsen."
"I prefer Noah if you don't mind."
"Noah it is then." I open my eyes again and lift up my still aching head, instilling my body as I look out the window.
"You don't have to say a lot", Gemma tells me gently. "Just give us the gist of it, okay?"
I remain silent, then open my mouth.
"They used me", I whisper. "They made me kill so many people."
"Why?"
"Jake- He wants to set me loose in New York City as the new Dusk Killer", I say nervously. "Where is Morona anyway?"
"In the trunk. How many did you kill?"
I blink away tears. "Twenty", I answer softly. "Twenty people are dead because of me." I let out a quiet sob, clutching my hands into fists as I start to cry. "It wasn't my fault", I hiccup. "They had me chained up like an animal until the urge got too strong and then they used me to kill so I could feel human again."
"The urge?", my mother questions. "What does that even mean?"
Noah sighs and answers for me.
"Two and a half years ago, Theresa went missing. After a while police turned over the investigation over to the FBI. Fast forward the two years later, and all news channels were reporting that she was admitted into the hospital after the FBI responded to a distress call in a private landing strip."
"I was shot", I mumble, rocking back and forth again.
"Yes. A few tests were run, and a leak went out that Theresa was tortured using a modified version of electroshock therapy, with enough voltage to erase her memories."
"He did it again", I say sadly, letting my pounding head drop onto the top of my knees. "I can't think straight."
"Do you want some aspirin?", Gemma asks. "I got some just in case."
"What's aspirin?", I ask tiredly, half turning around in my seat to look at my friend. "Is it some sort of weird happy drug?"
"Its a medicine that helps headaches", Samantha tells me. "Just a pill."
"Okay. Yes please." I outstretch my hand towards Gemma, letting out a quiet moan at the pain pulsing through my brain.
"Drink this to wash it down", the woman instructs me, placing the tablet on my palm before handing me the bottle of water.
I do as I'm trying, tipping my head back as I swallow, rubbing my temples as the ache remains.
"It doesn't work", I announce. "Can I have more?"
Noah rolls his eyes and replies, "It won't work right away. You need to be patient for once."
I groan, but lean back in my seat, shifting onto my side and bringing my knees up to my chest before closing my tired eyes.