Chapter Twenty Four

Silently, I follow the men into the warehouse, my breath catching in my throat as panic take over at the recollection of my memories, making it hard to put one foot on front of the other when I want to do is run.
As soon as I see where I'm being taken, I stop and shake my head frantically.
"No", I say quickly, my voice panicked. "No, I won't go in there."
"Theresa, you have to", Detective Brown tells me, turning around and setting a hand on my shoulder. "It's important for this case."
"I'm not going into that room", I retort, backing away. "I would rather die."
"Theresa, we'd rather not drag you inside", Sol tells me. "Either way, you are going in there."
"No. I'm not going", I snap. "And if you try, I will kill you."
"You may certainly try."
Detective Brown grabs the agent's arm before he can lunge and mutters, "Kid gloves, remember?"
"Well, we need her in there." Sol tries to grab my arm, but I bring my foot up and nail him in the crotch, whirling around and running down the hall towards the Feeding Room, crossing my fingers as I hope that the weapons are still there.
The doorknob twists easily when I turn it, slamming the the heavy metal shut behind me as I sprint to the table and grab the first knife I can find, pointing the blade at the two men as they burst into the room, guns drawn.
"Theresa, put the knife down. We don't want to shoot, but we will if we have to."
"Pain means nothing to me", I spit. "In fact, I want you to kill me. Go ahead."
"We aren't going to kill you", Brown says gently. "Just put the knife down and we'll talk, okay?"
I don't move.
"I came back to New York to get better", I snarl. "And all that's happened is the exact opposite. My mother is actually creating a medicine for me, and the rest of you are just fucked up worse than I am."
"We just want to know what happened in that room", the detective soothes. "Just tell us what they did, and we'll show you what we found, okay?"
The memory flashes in my mind, and I shake my head quickly, slicing open my palm with the knife.
"No. I can't."
"Yes, you can." Another line on my wrist, blood pooling over the sides of my arm, dripping onto the floor.
Feeding Time.
For once, I don't feel the urge to kill another human being. Only myself.
Just do it. Then no one will be able to use you, ever again.
Slowly, I bring the knife up towards my throat, the handcuffs rattling as I move.
As soon as Agent Sol sees what I'm doing, his gun goes off.
I barely even flinch as the bullet goes through my hand, the blade clattering to the cement floor as dark red liquid hits the ground in a small waterfall.
"You don't get to take the coward's way out", the man tells me. "You still have a life to live."
I don't answer as both come over and gently pull me out of the room and down the hall.
-------
I am so sorry for the short chapter and extremely late update. I've just had a hard time thinking of how to move this chapter along.
Thank you guys for being so supportive of my writing, and I've come up with a kind of a fun way to repay you, I guess.
On my profile, there is a book where you can ask me any questions you want and I will answer them.
The title is Questions With The Pineapple Queen.
If you could check that out, I'd be extremely grateful, and it'd make me so happy.
Love you guys!
- Elise