CHAPTER TEN: WHAT THE HELL?

Two days passed since that famous kiss episode and Aidan was avoiding her like plague. Not that she blamed him; she was never supposed to give him that slap since she had been a very much active participant in that kiss. But at some point it had become so overwhelming that she had gotten scared of the intensity of her feelings.

At first, the feelings that have engulfed her had driven her into a zone of pure passion. Something she could not remember but even in her state she knew it was not an ordinary feeling. But when he had asked for more, the heat had become too much to bear and her first reaction had been to back out.

Except that he had been too engrossed in his own throes of passion to cater for her feelings. And that was when she had panicked. And had slapped him. Not a tight slap but one to jerk him back to reality. And it had worked. He had snapped back to reality and had released her immediately.

And she had apologized immediately because from the remorse in his eyes, she was guessing that he was blaming himself. But Kate had not been afraid of him; she had been afraid of her too intense feelings for him. But not of him. But she was too much a coward to tell him the truth.

Consequently, they were behaving like nothing had happened and had omitted to even mention the encounter. But the irresistible desire between the two of them was still obvious and unresolved. Even if they were barely talking, the sultry looks they were sending each other were enough to make her panties wet. It was that powerful.

Damn! With the attraction flaring between them, it was unable for her to focus on the problem at hand and she no longer had her nightmares. Whether it was a good or bad thing she did not know. She only knew that they were not progressing and could not hide forever.

Stealing a look at Aidan who sat opposite her on the table where they were having breakfast, she mentally debated whether she should broach the subject with him. Staying with him at the cottage was a safe cocoon but they could not hide forever. And besides her parents must be dead worried about her and from what she had heard from him, they had loved her to pieces.

Aidan seemed to be devouring his breakfast and did not even bothered to look in her direction. In some way his indifference was hurting her but she could not blame him after the way she had behaved. He had done nothing than help her and it was not his fault that his fiancée had lost her memory.

But she had not been prepared for the intense physical reaction and had reacted out of pure instincts. By the furtive glance she was throwing his way, she was mustering up her courage to ask him whether she could return back to the castle and jumped when he spoke.

“Get ready in one hour. We have to go out.”

It was almost an order and she felt a rebellious streak inside her. How dared he assume that she would be ready to go out with him? Especially after the way he was treating her? Like she was not even here most of the time. Hell, she could have been a piece of furniture for all she knew!

“I was not aware of any such thing,” she replied in an arrogant tone and he lifted his eyes at her with raised eyebrows.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I’m not going anywhere with you. Not when I’m still in hiding. And especially not on a date,” she rattled and could have bitten her tongue as the words were out.

What the hell was she thinking? Aidan would never try to bring her on a date. Not in her current situation. Stupid stupid stupid! Why was she behaving like some stupid love-struck fool!!

“It’s not a date. I told you the other day that I was trying to get you an appointment with my friend. The doctor, remember?”

Damn! How could she forget that? She could barely focus on her problems any longer. Of course he meant the appointment with the doctor he had been ranting about for the past two days. Feeling even more stupid, she stabbed at her food wishing it was her brain and nodded in silence.