CHAPTER NINE: TABLES ARE TURNED

“Husssh. Kate, Husssh. I’m sorry baby. So sorry for having left you alone. Please don’t cry,” Aidan was whispering desperately in her ears as he struggled to calm her down. She was in such a desperate state that suddenly anger overtook him. Whoever had brought his Kate to this sad state would pay, he vowed to himself.

He called himself all kind of fools for having left her alone. She had seemed normal to him and so he had thought that it would be okay if he went to fetch some of her clothes from his apartment. But it had been a fatal mistake.

It had been a good decision not to tell her about murder which had occurred back at the castle, he conceded now seeing the way her body trembled. She must be terrified from what had happened and Aidan confirmed his doubt that she must have witnessed the murder of Edward. It was the reason why he had agreed not to go back to the castle so quickly.

From what he had gathered, she knew something terrible was up and they were still unaware of the real culprit. What if he had attacked her again when she returned back? For the time being, everybody was a suspect and he could not take any risk with her life again.

While he raked his head about the possible murderer with the new found clues, he could conclude only one thing. The murderer was someone close to the family because there was no way a stranger could have gotten in the house without the help of someone to cover him.

“He’s going to kill me,” she uttered her voice muffled as she was pressed against his chest. “He’s after me, I’m sure.”

“I will keep you safe. I promise. I won’t leave you ever again,” he replied cooing her till the trembling of her body subsided and he felt her relax against him.

When she made a move to get up, he added a little pressure on her back to let her remain in her initial position. He was not ready to let her go yet. She resisted at first and then he felt more than heard her resigned sigh. He never knew for how long they stayed in each other’s arms enjoying the feeling of their warm bodies enlaced in each other. It felt like eternity when finally she eased back and looked up at him.

Her eyes was the exact replica of a doe; looking at him warily like she was not sure whether he would hurt her or love her. Trying to convey his feelings in his eyes, he lifted his hand to brush away a tendril of hair which had fallen across her face. When he tucked it behind her ears, she whined and Aidan knew that it was not out of protest.

The golden eyes stared back at him and finally they pooled with something he had not seen for a long time. Desire. Desire for him. Something he had missed more than he had dared to admit to himself. He felt himself grow harder than he had ever been even with her and he struggled to control his urge to grab her and make senseless love to her.

At that precise moment, he would trade his soul to share some intimate moments with her but he knew it was too early to get physically involved. She had only started to trust him and he was not ready to face that cold Kate again he had met at the convent. Not ever.

With a resolution of steel, he moved away and sat on the bedside trying not to let her know how much he was suffering. It was awkward having to sit with such a hard on and he had to shift several times to find an appropriate position.

“I brought you some clothes from my apartment,” he said after some time with his back to her. He knew she was looking at him with her doe eyes again; he could feel her gaze pierce his back. But he did not dare look back at her because if he found a trace of desire in her eyes, his control would snap and he would take her like an animal.

“Thank you,” she whispered in a small voice. “I’m sorry for having freaked out like that. I had a nightmare,” she confessed reluctantly.

“Don’t apologize. What did you see?” he asked finally seeing that she was ready to open to him more.