CHAPTER ONE: THE LOST BRIDE

Still in deep shock, Aidan Waldorf could still not focus what was happening in reality. It was as if he had zapped out to another universe where his mind was bombarded with questions one after the other. Why was Kate no longer here? Where was she? Had she freaked out at the last minute and decided to skip the wedding? Or has something happened to her?

The only thing which kept him sane was  the fact that Kate might be in some kind of danger and all he knew was that he had to find her. It was what his instincts were telling him and for the first time of his life, his heart was in synch with his mind. But it didn’t make him feel better.

Standing up still in a daze, he ignored the noises around him and ran towards the door focusing only on what he was supposed to do. Only to be stopped by a pair of hands and he whirled round to see it was Ryce Vin Connor. His best friend. His brother.

But he was in no mood for the comfort Ryce as offering. It would serve no purpose until he had Kate with him. Nothing was making sense as he was having the constant zing in his head. Without saying a word, he shrugged off his hold and made for the door again. Only to be stopped by his mother who stood between the door and himself blocking his exit.

“Aidan, where are you going?” Meredith Waldorf shouted and he could only look back with unfocused eyes.

Suddenly, he felt his body shake and his teeth rattle. Snapping out of his daze, he saw that his mother had been shaking him and had repeated the question. Hell, where was he going? His ears were ringing and he could feel himself sway before slumping down on something he could hardly register.

 “Find Kate,” he mumbled his jaws feeling like lead. The initial shock had subsided and he no longer felt numb. But his initial instincts were still kicking in; Kate was in danger. He could feel it. Kate would never leave him like that without any plausible reason.

“Where??” Ryce growled and he looked up in the pair of grey eyes in front of him.

Where? Where what? Then he registered that Ryce had asked him where he was going. And he did not know where to go because he did not know where Kate was. The gravity of the situation finally dawned on him as he sat defeated on the sofa staring into space.

“We must inform the police,” he finally heard the anxious tone of Alex Thornton his future father-in-law and he still looked up with a dazed expression. His mind was still lingering in the fact that Kate was no longer around. How would he be able to bear that?

What would he do without her? He had already kicked her out of his life before having taken her for granted and now that he knew how much she counted for him, she was gone. Life was so unfair sometimes.

“Are you alright?” his mother asked him and he nodded absent-mindedly. He was obviously not alright. But he could not let his misery apparent to anyone else; they were already as flustered as he was by the sudden disappearance of his bride.

“Aidan, love. I’m so sorry,” Mrs. Judith Thornton was saying her eyes filled with tears. His mother in law was a nice person even if she got on his nerves sometimes but since she was close to her daughter, Aidan could never show her any disrespect. What he couldn’t understand was why she was apologizing; she had nothing to do with the disappearance of her daughter, had she?

Suddenly as the idea bloomed in his mind, it stuck and wouldn’t go away. Judith Thornton had never approved of their relationship. Not when she had wanted Kate to marry Edward Bigfoot. The son of her closest friend.

But Kate had never loved anyone else apart from him. Even since the university days and had agreed to marry Edward only to please her parents. Something which he could not resent since it had brought them together.