CHAPTER FIVE: SILVER LININGS

It was already a week. A week since the day he had been supposed to become the happiest man on this planet. And now he was the complete opposite. The saddest person on earth since he had no news of his love.

No phone call for ransom. No news of Kate in hospitals or even at the airport. Nobody had seen her running in her wedding dress. Nothing. It was damn frustrating and he felt helpless because there was nothing he could do.

The police had concluded that Kate was on the run and they were looking for her everywhere. They had asked a photo of her to print and placed the “WANTED” logo beneath and Aidan could not help feeling how ridiculous it was.

Instead of finding information about the real culprit, they were wasting their time accusing Kate as the murderer. He was losing his patience and had decided that the police was up to no use. They were too procedural in their mission and would never find Kate out.

That was why he had called Ryce and Jennifer to meet him at a restaurant somewhere outside Central Park. They had to discuss their next steps and he was damned sure that his two best friends would help him find his beloved. Even in the worst time, Ryce had been always ready to support him and Jennifer was strong enough to leverage the two of them.

“Ryce! You came,” he said frowning as his friend arrived at the restaurant alone.

“Yeah of course. Sorry about being late. Flint is not well and I asked Jen to go back to Brooklyn. She was crying like a whale but I managed to convince her for the sake of Flint. I also succeeded in extending my holidays for another month to be with you.”

Aidan sighed his relief. It was what he needed. Thankfully he had been on holidays himself as it was supposed to be his honeymoon time. Ironic, wasn’t it? He and Kate had a long way to go. They had waited ten years for their love to materialize only to end in such a dramatic way.

“Do you also believe she’s running away from me?” he asked without beating around the bush as soon as they had taken their respective seats. He had to know what Ryce thought. He did not care about what the others thought of him. But Ryce mattered. Ryce Vin Connor was his brother.

“Are you kidding? Of course not!” he proclaimed and Aidan felt immense relief seep in as his shoulders sag. It felt like a weight had been lifted off him. So he was not delusional. Kate could not run from him. She had loved him since forever and more than he could ever have imagined.

And he had loved her back. But he had always known that he could never match the love Kate had for him. It had been unconditional, pure and simply out of this world. Something he had not deserved. Maybe that was why his love was missing. Maybe it was a way for God to punish him for his past mistakes.

When he had been in university, he had estranged his friends and had turned into a harsh man due to some misunderstanding. And his colossal ego had not helped at all. Therefore he had crushed anyone who had ever come across his path. Was that why he was getting punished today? Because he had been ruthless in the past? But if it meant making him someone who deserved the love of Kate, he was willing to go through that hell.

That was how much he loved her, he now realized. Kate had always been around and he had taken her for granted. But not anymore. If she came back in his life, he would treasure every moment he spent with her. Not if she came back. When she came back.

“Thank you for that. I needed to hear the truth from you,” he finally said and Ryce shrugged as if it was a great deal.

“Man, she loved you like mad. There’s no way she could have run away from you. I am damned sure of that fact. But what astounds me is that what could have happened? I mean she has not been kidnapped and must be on the run, right?”