CHAPTER SEVEN: DOWN MEMORY LANE

Aidan felt his heart literally stop as Kate struggled against him in a state of turmoil.  It looked as if she was no longer with him and was fighting something over which he had no power . But he knew if he removed his hand, she would scream the place down and he would no longer be able to confront her. Relaxing his hold against her mouth, he caressed her to soothe away whatever was taking over her mind.

“Hushhhhh sweetheart, it’s me. Husssh,” he cajoled until her body ceased to tremble and she relaxed against his body. Desperately, he inhaled her scent and felt like a drug addict after he had been deprived after a week.

Hell he had missed her so much. And when he had visited the convent, he had been sure that Kate had been hiding in that dark corner of the corridor. But could not confirm whether it was his imagination or she was real.

That was why he had decided to stay in the neighborhood to clear his doubt. And imagine his surprise when he had spotted her hovering near a window just before dusk. While he had not understood why she had felt the need to hide from him, he had assumed that maybe she was protecting him by keeping away. Whatever the reason, it was not good enough for him and he had to find her out. One week without her was all the punishment he could take.

So he had waited until it was pitch dark and it had been the longest wait of his life. When finally he had decided it was time for him to make a move, he had broken into the room where she had been. But instead of finding himself in her room, he landed with a thud in the bathroom and his dilemma had increased. How to search for her in such a dark place without getting caught?

While he had tiptoed in the dark, he had collided with something and had no other choice than to get in the nearest room. Thankfully, he had found the door unlocked and to his uttermost relief he finally saw Kate. But she had not even been looking in his direction and when she panicked, he had to find a way to stop her. Without thinking, he had muffled her cry by placing his hand over her mouth.

However, he had not been expecting her to freak out in such a way. She had reacted like someone was attacking her. And he had instantly relaxed his grasp and tried to calm her down. Now, as he held her against his body, he felt the exact moment when her fear subsided and she realized that she was in his arms. Except that instead of greeting him like he was expecting, she kicked him from behind and struggled free of his hold.

“Ouuuchh!! Kate! What the hell?” he grounded huskily clutching his ribs as he felt the pain upsurge him. And then she spoke. In an ice cold voice he could hardly recognize.

“Who are you?”

Stunned, he looked up at her still holding his rib no longer paining but he was too surprised to make the slightest movement. Was she kidding him? How could she not recognize him?!! He was the one she loved damn it!

“You don’t know me?” he asked astounded and felt a greater pain when she shook her head than he had felt when she had kicked him. What was going on? It had to be his Kate. She looked the same, she felt the same. Hell, she even smelled the same. Then how the hell could she refuse to recognize him?

“I..I’m sorry. I have no memory of my past,” she stammered looking at him with the so familiar golden eyes but which reflected so much uncertainty. She could not be faking it. Why would she lie to him?

And suddenly everything started making sense.  Why she had not contacted him when she had run away. Why she had been hiding from him when he had found her. It was simply because she could not even remember who he was. What he meant to her. Hell!

Sitting on a nearby chair to absorb the shock of the recent revelation, he raked a hand through his hand and watched as Kate fidgeted with her fingers. It was like his worst nightmare was coming true. The love of his life was standing in front of him treating him like a complete stranger. It was breaking his heart but he knew she was not at fault.