CHAPTER FOUR: STAYING ALIVE

Mary was getting used to her new life. And her new name. She was surrounded by wonderful people who were taking great care of her and in return, she cooked for them. She was a great cook, she discovered. And she enjoyed cooking for everyone in the convent.

She was also good with accounts and therefore helped them with the budgeting and saving for the future. It was something she was used to do she was sure since she seemed to focus on every detail and derived astute strategies to maintain their current possessions.

Maybe it had something to do with her profession. She must be a banker or involved in a similar lucrative business that required such kind of creativity. She grimaced at the thought finding that particular profession quite mercenary something which she was not liking. But she had no right to be prejudiced especially in the state she was.

Two days had passed since her sudden rebirth and she had still not remembered anything yet. And except for the quick memory which she had on the first day, nothing had flashed again. It was futile trying to remember as ever time she would end up with her unbearable headache and she had no choice than to give up.

Thankfully, the wound on her head no longer ached and was on the verge of healing. She was having some difficulty in combing her hair but the sisters were always willing to help her. It had taken her little time to integrate among them.

During her free time, she had been given access to the library where they had a vintage computer but she had googled about the disease “amnesia”. From what she had learnt, there were several types and she assumed that hers was followed due to the trauma she had been through. And having longer periods of amnesia would only worsen her case.

And there was no specific remedy; she had to wait for her memory to come back. There was the possibility of her to attend therapy but she had to consult a doctor for that and she was not willing to make surface for the time being.

What if someone had tracked down every nearby hospital and was just waiting for her to resurface to attack again? She did not even know if there was anybody to protect her out there and it was too great a risk to take. What if she was an orphan who had only her fiancé to rely on and she had realized too late that he was not who he had seemed to be. It had to be big for her to take such a drastic step.

And when Mother Katherine had asked her to put up an advertisement about her disappearance, all she had done was stall for some time not willing to share her past with them yet. Seeing her reluctance they had not pressed her and she had been grateful for that. She could not afford to let her guards down so soon. It was better to be on the safe side for the time being.

“Mary?” she heard someone call her and she stopped to look at the person trying not to show her grimace at the name. It was not her name, she was sure of that. It sounded strange to her and she so wanted to be called by her name.

“Yes,” she answered Sister Julie; a lovely lady whom she had grown close during the two days of her journey.

“Mother Katherine is calling for you,” she was informed. “I think she had called for the doctor and would like you to consult him for your head injury.”

Trying not to panic at her words, Mary smiled submissively not wanting to show her emotions to the woman. But how could she consult a doctor? And why had Mother Katherine taken such a step without consulting her? There would be enumerable questions about her past and they would try to persuade her to come out in the open.

And how would she be able to convince them of something she herself was not sure? How to convince them that somebody was attacking her when she had no proof whatsoever of what had happened? The doctor would only blame it on her imagination and she would be helpless as she had no concrete proof of what her six sense was telling her.