HOPE AND DESIRE

( I JUST WANT TO APOLOGIZE THAT IT TAKES ME SO LONG TO UPDATE. I HAVE AUTISM AND ALSO DEPRESSION SO I STRUGGLE A LOT WITH DAY-TO-DAY LIVING BUT I ALWAYS TRY TO UPDATE ON MY GOOD DAYS )

The sounds of rattling teacups and the strange humming and beeping of many different machines echoed around the small brightly lit children's hospital ward room. At first, the unusual sounds didn't bother Maisey and she slept deep in the world of hopes and dreams the terror of the previous day forgotten while she slept on, but soon the sounds got louder and louder and trickled into her mind as the other children of the ward awoke and began to speak to each other, there childish voices added to the cacophony of noise in the small brightly lit room.

The loud and jarring, unpleasant discordant mix of different sounds bounced around the room and sadly reached the ears of the still-sleeping Maisey. She awoke with a loud yawn and stretched out in the soft warm bed and rubbed the sleep from her eyes she rolled over trying to go back to sleep but it was too late her body was telling her to awaken and prepare to face a new day. Slowly with her eyes still closed and guarded against the bright sunlight and the fluorescent lights of the hospital ward, she pushed herself up on the bed until she was sitting up.

Slowly she opened her eyes the bright fluorescent lights seemed to get brighter and brighter until they were almost blinding her. The lights were hurting her eyes so much that she had no choice but to close them once more. She snapped her eyes shut wanting the light to be gone. When she was quite sure the pain from the lights was gone, she slowly bit by bit opened her eyes and allowed them to get used to the bright light of the strange unknown hospital room.

Maisey unlike other children who often in their younger years had ended up at A&E, for one reason or another and who needed the aid of nurses and doctors to heal their various ailments and cure their pain, had never needed such a place and had never dreamed she would, for her accidents and illness requiring medical care just never happened. Her mother had often said she had the constitution of an ox when she had asked why she never got ill or injured when her siblings did.

Maisey never being in a hospital before had no clue where she was but being the brave and enquiring little girl that she was, she wanted to explore and discover whatever mysteries awaited her in this strange place, and more importantly, she wanted to find out why she was in this strange unknown place before it becomes too much for her and she began to panic. Climbing out of the warm hospital bed presented no challenge to her, it was the coldness of the white marble flooring that made her want to jump back into her warm bed and never leave, there was one thing above all else that Maisey hated and that was being cold.

Maisey stared around the large spacious room she was in, its multi-colored painted walls interested her but what interested her more were the long sky-blue curtains, that surrounded each of the six other beds in the room and blocked its occupant from sight. Maisey wondered who was behind those curtains and why they were there.

The beeping of the Machines caught her attention once more and it was at that moment that Maisey, at last, realized from all of the books that she had read and the pictures that she had seen, that the only place she could be was a hospital room but she was still confused as to just why she was there the last few hours of her life seemed to have vanished from her mind. The last thing she could remember was falling asleep in her bedroom late last night.

Maisey was determined to find out why she was there and also to find a way out so she could escape and get back to Lucy at Sandy brook but sadly for her, she didn't get very far. As her feet trailed along the cold white, smooth marble hospital floor, and the cold of the floor bit at her toes she was suddenly reminded of the horror of what she had seen just a few hours earlier. The memories came back all at once giving her no chance to come to terms with the things she was once more seeing.