Chapter 17

The Ancients

The Registrar

I was reading – I just got an old script from Egypt, telling me the latest (well at this time) version about Ka, the old Egyptian vampire. Interesting that the people knew about him – even if they put him in the role of the Chi like the Chinese and Asian people did. But still, the connection to blood needed to bring people back was close enough.

As I wanted to turn to the next side all of a sudden a shock began running through my body – an experience I haven’t believed to get. My head turned numb, cleared by everything I was thinking about, listening with joy to the sweetest telling ever:

“I am here.”

I read about this, yes, but the first-hand experience… this was different. I should have been prepared though – haven’t I spoke with Carlisle just a few days ago? And – THIS was the strange part about this. Why on earth could I get The Call that early…?

It was told in my books, from the very first days on, that there will be a true leader of us, and that only he (or she) can use The Call to broadcast to their subjects. The Call will reach us, wherever we are – hm, not that we are that many in the meantime. It was said that only the old ones, meaning the vampires older then about 1.500 years (now the era called as “BC”), meaning the experienced ones, the ones familiar with the old traditions, created by the very rare old family of the founder of our kind (the old Cain and Abel story), have the ability to receive The Call. And, well, I just knew a few of us. And I knew the reason for being that few.

We killed each other – there was a war, long time ago, where we fought, seeking the truth, meaning to have the right to decide whether we or they shall rule our world. It was in those days that I started my little collection of stories and myths about us – mainly caused by that one story, telling about the True Leader, or as well named The Grail, at this time open on the specifics, but already with the telling of peace, of change. I, as others, believed that this was a story that told us we would be then forgiven for the murdering of Abel, that we would be able to return to “normal life”, whatever this would be.

The others, well, they were not happy about this, they tried to erase every single source of that myth, they were afraid that they would lose their power, their influence.

It was then that the few of us believing decided to help each other, to hide each other, whenever there was a need for this. Well, ok, we had our powers, our abilities – but you cannot stand alone against furious fighters, coming in waves to kill you.

The luck in that was, however you can call it like this, that the others fought against each other too, to keep their position, their power, to enlarge it even. So, they were not that much interested in us, as long as we made not a riot about the myth.

In the meantime the story was told that the True Leader is supposed to be a woman, a girl actually, and they went out to kill this girl – this part of the story I told Carlisle already.

I was curious – well, I knew about the existence of Bella, my old hermit Cernunnos of course who was with me in those days knew it as well and will know how to contact me, and at least one other should be still out there – Hildr, my cold partner from the North, known to mankind as a Valkyrie, and still out there to fight and to love. I would not be able to find her, but I was quite sure that she got The Call herself, and since the rumor was told that she can locate the source of The Call, she will be on her way anyway.

This was on my Pro – side.

The Con side – hm. The others will get The Call too – but they should know meanwhile that it will be too late to fight Bella, since it was obvious that the myth had been fulfilled.