Chapter 16

Chapter sixteen

Bella and Edward, Cullen’s house, about 9 a.m. U.S., WA.

Bella finished her food, she then desired to go outside to Esme’s garden for a while and of course I agreed to. I got the impression that Bella liked the flowers considerably, from the meadow to Esme’s garden along with the flowers that Alice had out the night before. Esme’s garden essentially extended the entire backyard; it was like walking through a maze of sorts. It was such a variant in diverse colors as well as a bouquet of fragrances. I had a thought of speaking to Esme on putting a garden at the old house for her, as Esme’s little surprise.

As we walked out to the backyard, Bella inhaled deeply to savor all the perfumes in the air. As a consequence, she elevated her head and closed her eyes, furthermore smiling delightfully. This garden pleased her greatly. We sat down at the bench alongside the flowers; together we observed the wind tenderly brushing across the tips of all of them. The cloudy weather was not allowing the sun to shine through, but that did not stop the brilliant colors from showing off; the overcast actually highlighted the tips better. All the flowers graciously had their own family units; the baby blues were nestled alongside all shades of blues, as did the rest of them. There was an incline of yellows to the right of us as there were shades of pink and purple to the left; Esme decided she wanted a small creek down the middle so Emmett and I put it in for her and she loved it. It was winding throughout the garden, and we made some bridges where it crossed the little trail we made, following the lines of the flowers with its light wooden canapé.

Esme said once that she wanted it to be a little bit like the garden in Alice in Wonderland – she liked the book and the description, and tried to make her own little wonderland here – obviously a success. She had even planted flowers in the shape of the Three Playing Cards to make it perfect. Of course we had no white rabbit – he would end as a snack, not good for a fairy tale. But the bees at least were enjoying the great offer – her buzzing made its own peaceful melody together with the singing birds.

I caught a glimpse of a beautiful blue flower and could not resist going to pick it. When I came back to Bella I grasped one side of her face as I put the flower behind her ear – as always blue looked radiant on her, Bella enjoyed it exuberantly. Alice never had a need to go to the floral shop with this overabundance to explore whenever she wanted, additionally I thought that when Bella became truly comfortable here that this would be her favorite location as well. Then again clearly I was not qualified to make that assumption; the possibility was there at every corner for me to be wrong. We spent about an hour in the garden without any interruptions from anyone – I was thankful for this.

At that precise moment Esme requested that she and Bella should depart for the old house, all the while wondering in her thoughts if Bella may want something specifically done her way. Clearly I was not too enthusiastic about this as I refused to leave our present spot; it took a great deal for Esme to persuade me. Duration’s of Bella’s absence made me feel insecure. Alice was also there with Esme, disappointed by my lack of enthusiasm for her inconsequential excursion. Meanwhile Bella had become curious as to what our plans were. Before I could react, Alice answered as quickly as a whip that it was a surprise addition to that she voiced, that Bella could not know until the time was right.

Bella was about to argue when Alice intervened that she would not hear of anything disrupting her plans. Bella understood that Alice would get her way in the end, so she surrendered with a laughter which made Alice genuinely pleased. I noticed that I was prohibiting Bella from leaving my arms, when Esme approached me to whisper in my ear faintly, stating that Bella would be fine. Reluctantly I agreed with her, Carlisle did say that we had a window of at least two days before any worries were headed our way.