Chapter 4

Chapter Four

"NO. Stay on until I get there just in case, alright?”

She agreed then we went silent. I couldn't help but think of what it would be like if Bella did know what I was. How would she react? I soon saw Bella's house up ahead. In a matter of seconds I was in her driveway. She asked me if that was me that just pulled in and I replied "Yes." I told her that I would check around the house and then call her when I made my way up to the porch so she could let me in. Then I said “Once I come in, I will check the inside of the house as well.” She replied, “Yeah, definitely.” She thanked me again and said she was sorry. She tried to calm her breathing so she wouldn’t sound so terrified, but I couldn’t help myself and listened to her breathing intently. I smiled with the sound of her breath in the phone and finished checking the outside of the house.

"I'll see you in a minute Bella."

"Okay, Edward.”

We hung up and I ran swiftly around her house, the only thing that I saw out of place was her garbage can lid laying upside down on the broken walkway. When I got close enough I saw that there was a cat inside the garbage. Oh Bella, at least you really did hear something after all, it wasn’t just you overreacting. I ran to the front of the house and called her back. I waited not so patiently to see her again. She answered with a polite “Hello.” I told her, that I was on her front porch. She was already trying to get off the phone.

"Okay, I'll be right there.” She rushed out in frenzy tone. She seemed just as eager to see me as I was seeing her.

*********************

When Bella opened the door her eyes were bulged out and her mouth dropped. Maybe she was still scared. She asked me to come in. As I walked in I shut the door behind me. I turned to see her exquisite face glowing from the light of the living room - if my heart had a beat it would have stopped that instant. Without thinking, becoming so accustomed around humans I took a deep breath and instantly froze in place. How could I be so irresponsible to allow this to happen? I was completely immersed in the chance to see her that I did not think of the consequences.

Bella looked frightened by something and before I knew it she had her arms around me. So many thoughts were playing on my mind all at once:

One, my Bella was wrapped around me looking for me to comfort her.

Two, I was still afraid to breathe in fear of what my instincts could do.

Three, she must have felt how cold I was I waited for her to release me and the love I felt for her brought back a flood of memories and I wanted nothing more than to embrace her as she was me, but I had to be careful around her no matter what. All of this I thought in a matter of seconds. Bella voiced “What is it Edward?” Preoccupied with my thoughts that I had I soon realized that it was the look on my face that had frightened her. Excepting the fact that I could not just leave her alone now, I closed my eyes and slowly let Bella's fragrance surround me. With all my being I turned to her and said

“I’m sorry I scared you, it wasn’t intentional.” Bella had asked why I had reacted the way I did as if I had seen a ghost. I told her that her radiant beauty overwhelmed me. Bella delightfully stated “Edward, are you trying to hit on me during my time of crisis?” as she quietly snickered.

“Bella of course not!” I didn’t know what to think. Should I have not said that? As I refreshed my memory of watching the light bounce off of her creamy white skin, I found myself enveloped in that moment. The ideal of her still holding me had me in a trance until I realized that she had to be freezing by now. I looked down at her in confusion. She lifted her head to meet my gaze and asked, “What is it.” There was no way around this, I was intrigued and I felt a smile tugging my lips. I had to ask her; “Bella, isn't my skin cold to you at all?”