Chapter 28: Ringed Happy Luck of Ours

“Be, at least, four feet away from him,” his gruff voice bellowed from the speaker, “I don’t want him smelling you, smiling at you, touching you, not even staring at you! Do you understand, Butch?”

Yawning, I strained the phone with my shoulder while I managed to carry the bags with both of my hands. “Yes, I understand, Andrew. It’s just a brief meeting, I don’t know why you get all—“

“Because I freakin’ can!” he cut me off belligerently, before sighing. “I can’t understand why the hell Dad sent you, instead of me or Teresa for that matter!”

“Because you have to run the meeting with the diary company in thirty minutes. Also, Teresa is the head of secretaries, she can’t just leave. Don’t worry, pie of baby vomit, it’ll only take five minutes. I promise.”

“Don’t call me that, please,” he said rather upset than annoyed. “Five minutes?”

“Andrew.” I stopped walking towards the café and turned around to focus my attention on him. “Are you upset? Why?”

A loud exhale gusted from the other end before his drowned voice answered. “I told you it vexes me that Jason is around you. He really has a thing for you—if you haven’t noticed. Please, Riley, call me in the middle of the discussion so I can talk to him.”

“So you don’t trust me, Andrew? This is the first time Larry gives me a real task that doesn’t involve you. And you have to control it, don’t you? I’m not a puppet you can control, if you haven’t noticed! I could be your…your—“

“My woman, my girlfriend, the love of my life, the woman that’s going to give birth to my kids, the tomboy that’ll hold my hand till we’re old and screwed, the girl that catches my breath with a smile, future Mrs. Lukewood…do you want me to be more specific?”

I could imagine the smirk on his face and surely, he could imagine my blush.  “Well,” I said, smiling and forgetting what the heck I was going to say, “I could be all that to you…and—and…”

“You forgot what you were going to say?” He chuckled, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know I had such an influence in you.”

“Stop it, Boba!” I snapped. “I’m going to take off, okay? Maybe Jason is already there—“

“Of course he’s already there! The man doesn’t even hide the desperation he has to get laid!” Andrew snapped, “You have your pepper spray with you, right?”

“Ah, for the love of goodness, Andrew!” Indignantly, I dropped one bag and clutched the phone. “Are you serious?”

“I am serious. I don’t want you near him. You don’t even have to sit with him to drink a coffee! In fact, don’t you dare to accept anything from him! He could poison some candy or put some drug on your coffee. Do you understand?”

“Bye, Andrew—“

“No, wait!” he cried urgently.

“What?”

“Aren’t you going to wish me good luck on the meeting? It’s going to be the first meeting I’ll hold without you, Butch. And…and I miss you.”

Chuckling, I resumed my previous position and sauntered nearer the café. “Break a leg, Boba. I’ll be there right away. And…you know…we’re really lucky.”

“Oh, yes we are,” he hurriedly agreed. “Are you at the café?”

“Yep,” I sang, eyeing inside the café and a redhead sitting, waiting. “Jason’s here. Gotta go.”