Chapter 10: A Night to Remember

Riley

   “Ouch!”

   “Gees, Riley! You beat the crap out of some goons and you can’t take some manicure?!” Earnestly, Dawn continued to torture my nails, ignoring complains and grumbles that came from me.

   “Is that what they call it these days? Manicure? Dawn, you just grabbed a knife and almost took my nail off!” I criticized, looking up at my hair that was curled with bobby pins.

   Oh, Anakin, take me now because I just hate makeovers.

    “It’s called a cuticle knife and don’t be such a drama queen!” she laughed as she opened the nail polish and started to paint my nails… color: red.

     Are you kidding me?! “Nope! Sorry! No can do, Dawn. Everything but red!”

    “Fine, then pink it will be!”

   “Ok, red. Red is good.”

   Dawn flashed me a smile and continued to treat me like an experiment Barbie. This girl is… not what I expected. When I met her at the bar, I thought she was a brat. She looked like one with her face painted like a clown. But when we started to talk I just found out that she was this insecure girl who just wanted to fit in. I relate to her, because at her age… I wanted Ayden to like me, to love me. At sixteen, I wanted to be accepted just like everybody.

   “Dawn, why do you use so much makeup?” I suddenly asked after glancing around her princess-like room.

   “To make me beautiful, that’s why,” she shrugged her shoulders, never meeting my stare, “Why don’t you use makeup?”

   “To be beautiful.”

   After I simply answered, Dawn stopped coating and raised her head to encounter my gaze. She seemed shocked at my answer.

   “I don’t get it.”

   “Dawn, you don’t need makeup to be beautiful. It’s in here,” I placed my hand on her sternum and continued, “What you think of yourself will be reflected on your appearance.”

   “Uh… your nail is going to ruin. So, how did you and Andrew got together?” She suddenly changed the subject. So much for the bonding moment.

  “We met… at your dad’s ice cream shop. I work there,” I lied; well, not technically.

  “Eh, that is not romantic at all. And I must say I was shocked when I saw you. You don’t seem like Andrew’s type,” she blurted out casually.

    I clicked my tongue a little bit irritated at her comment. I don’t know why but a picture of Lora flashed through my head and I had to bit my lips to keep a curse to slip out of my mouth.

    “What type of girl is his type, then?” I sounded more sympathetic than I actually was considering.

    “Well, do you know who Lora is?”

    “Yes… I know, she’s Andrew’s ex-girlfriend,” I answered through gritted teeth.

    “That kind of girl is his type. He always had girls like her. Although his relationships only last for a couple of months, he always dates the same old mean girl,” she finished painting my nails and grabbed a bag of makeup, “Lora was mean to me, you know. She used to tell me I was ugly and that I needed to have a boyfriend.”

    That Lora is evil! She’s the daughter of Darth Maul! How could you say that to a little girl? No one will ever say something like that to Olivia! I will cut his or her tongue out before he or she could say that to her.