Chapter 16: Loss of Bravado

|Riley|

    With a confident twirl, I hopped on top of the strong coffee table. Andrew and Ayden were sitting uncomfortably next to each other, and right in front of me. My sneakers frolicked with the table’s edge as I raised my hand to balance my boasting buoyancy. This night will never be forgotten. These two musketeers will learn how to live with a girl—with the tomboy.

   “Well, boys, the rules are the following,” my index finger arose, “No girls while I’m here. No drugs. No loud music—unless I like it. No alcohol. No strippers. And that’s all.”

    Andrew angled his head to the side and lazily smiled, “If you just saw yourself from my point of view, I think you’ll be cleaning that table right now.”

   “Dude, it doesn’t make any sense,” Ayden frowned at Boba and Andrew shot him a glare.

   “From now on, I’ll sleep in Boba’s bedroom,” I gracefully ignored them and Andrew crossed his arms with a scowl.

   “Where am I supposed to sleep?”

   “You can sleep in my bed, Riley,” Ayden gave me a smirking wink that tickled my cheeks but I held my posture.

  “No offence, Ayden, but let’s not cover the sun with a finger. We all know you’ve slept with half the world’s population—including men.”

   “Hey!” he snapped with a vexed tone.

   “Good one, Butch,” Boba started to laugh in an exaggerating manner at poor Ayden’s cute face.

   “Your bed is not that clean, so shut it,” I snarled at him as I leaped off the table and headed to Andrew’s bedroom. “So, let’s organize the rooms!”

    Andrew groaned and I started to cross the room when I halted at Andrew’s words,
“Are you going to keep ignoring me?”

   “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Andrew,” Ayden idly said. “I’m not ignoring you.”

    “Is there something wrong, boys?” I turned around and shot them an unfriendly look.

     They both shook their heads and smiled, “We’re fine,” they said simultaneously.

    “Hmm,” I huffed and continued to Andrew’s room.

    Once inside, I started to take my pair of Converse off and my jean jacket. Sluggishly, I analyzed the room while some unsympathetic voices shouted from the living room. They were arguing and I know why. It’s because Andrew and I… “We’re not together anymore.”

    My voice sounded so weak and quaky, I hardly believed it was Riley Benjamin speaking. After throwing my pair of sneakers and jacket somewhere around the manly room, I walked over the wall decorated with enthralling pictures. My fingers glided against the glossy surface of the joyful pictures. My body stopped moving, breathing, feeling when I saw the middle photo. The same portrait I saw yesterday. Andrew was grinning with a couple aside him.

   Thump! Thump!

   Unconsciously, I clutched my chest and felt a strong pulse, beating faster until I became conscious of its delusional speed. Unaware of everything surrounding me, I kept staring at his grin and my blood rushed faster.

   “Hey, idiot,” a voice startled me as I gasped and rotated around to see him in flesh.

   “For a stinking doodle!” I jumped and he chuckled. “W-what are you doing here, Boba?”