Chapter 13: Crushed From Rolling in Woe

|Andrew|

   “Andrew, honey,” my mother whispered, “go get your sister. She needs to share her condolences to her aunt and cousin.”

   I shot an apprehensive look at her and she smiled, “Tell her I will personally go up there and smack her till she’s down here with us.”

   “Feisty, mom, I love it,” I returned the smile while she chuckled.

   “Now, go. And don’t make too much noise, you know how Clarissa is—all conservative and stuff,” she finished, holding my hand and kissing my cheek swiftly.

   All the whispering and sad smiles made me want to throw up, literally.  It’s sick.  So what better excuse to leave?  “Okay, I’ll be right back. And if I don’t come back, you know who the killer is—Dawn.”

  “Oh, Andrew,” mother laughed a little bit too loud which made her self-conscious, “My apologies.” After she apologized to the sad relatives, I raised myself up from the uncomfortable furniture and headed upstairs.

   During my course, it was customary to see dad rubbing Fred’s back in comfort and people dressed in black verbalizing their sympathy to Aunt Clarissa and Fred. But I do think that right now—in her grief—Aunt Clarissa prefers to be deaf again… as if that’ll exclude her from the terrible loneliness that awaits her.

   “Andrew, where are you going?” Dad suddenly asked, with angriness pouring out of his whisper.

    I turned around—before taking another step up the stairs—and detected his fuming eyes, “Mom told me to look for Dawn,” I smiled innocently as Fred glowered at me.

   Maybe he’s glaring at everybody because he doesn’t want to cry. I know this, of course, because we—Lukewood’s males—don’t cry; we just glare. It’s not healthy, but neither crying will help our male pride.

   “Oh,” he nodded, “okay!”

   I nodded too and went all the way upstairs to Dawn’s room. Staggeringly, I knocked twice and without any respect or deference, I opened the door and entered.

   “Gosh, don’t you know how to knock—“

   “I knocked twice,” I smiled broadly at her annoyance, “Mom wants you downstairs with her.”

   “Why? Why did mom have to offer our house…? I just wanted to be alone,” she sighed helplessly; staring down at the hem of her black dress.

   “Is there a problem, Dawn?” I asked skeptical and worried. She’s a thespian and sometimes it’s hard to comprehend her.

   “Why did you lie to me?” she never met my gaze as she collapsed on her bed. “Why?”

   “Dawn… what do you mean?” I dashed to the bed and sat next to her. “Why are you so sad?”

   “Because you lied to me!” she raised her voice—anger and disappointment outwardly screening on her attitude, “I just don’t understand, Andrew.”

   “Dawn.” Crap, she knows… “I’m sorry,” was all I could say. I lied to my family and I should be ashamed of myself… but somehow, I don’t regret having that weekend with Riley.

   “You’re sorry?” she scoffed rudely. Just a glance of her tyrannous eyes and my heart immediately sunk. Is this the behavior I’m teaching to my younger sister? Disgrace on you, Andrew!

   “I didn’t mean to hurt you or lie to you,” my tongue got stuck at the lie I re-invented, “How did you know?”

    “After dinner, you were searching for Ayden like a crazy beheaded chicken and when you went upstairs, I followed you. You left Ayden’s door ajar and I heard everything.”