Training

We were on our way to the demonic lake Sesshomaru’s mother had told us about. The day was beautiful in every way possible unlike the day before when it rained nonstop. The birds were out singing and the crickets were chirping loudly as we walked, though they weren’t the only things being loud. Jaken and Rin had been going back and forth about me since I had gotten to the camp with a red face and tears on my cheeks. I didn’t feel like talking about it with Sesshomaru around and Rin wouldn’t leave me alone about it.

            Sesshomaru was finally the one to get her to be quiet not long before. If he hadn’t of said something I would have lost it. It wasn’t like I could be mean to her because every day she was becoming more and more like my own child, and she was a human so it made it a little harder. We wouldn’t get to the lake until the next day, so for now we would just walk, and walk, and walk like we had been doing. Of course, I was bored out of my mind. I had not had any more memories and it was soothing to not have to worry about them. I guessed it was because I knew deep down that I would be figuring them all out in a matter of a few weeks or however long it would take to get everything.

            We stopped a few times to let Rin eat, but the more I saw her eat the more I felt weak and hungry. Rin was eating berries with Jaken behind her on top of Ah-Un as we walked. I had suddenly tripped on a branch, almost falling face first into the ground but stopping myself by placing my hand on a tree. I looked up in time to see Sesshomaru staring at me, a worried look in his eyes. He made a puzzling sound in his throat and then turned and continued walking.  It was the most he had spoken or looked at since that night, and I couldn’t help but wonder if he had seen me cry.

            I had started feeling dizzy as we walked and was grateful for once when Sesshomaru said we should stop. “Why Lord Sesshomaru?” Rin asked curiously because she wasn’t hungry or tired. “is there a demon around?” she asked again.

            “Yuzuki is hungry.” He said and I looked up at him in shock. How had he known? Why would he stop for me anyway? “Jaken stay with Rin. Your life will be short lived if anything happens.” He gave Jaken a deathly stare before walking off through the foliage and I ran after him, feeling my heart beat faster from hunger.

            “I can hunt myself.” I said hardly able to breath and he turned toward me with a harsh glare. “…or…or not.” I added hastily. Why was I so afraid of him? He continued to move and then spoke.

            “We aren’t just feeding.” He said in his normal hard tone. “I’m teaching you to fight.” His tone seemed to become harsher.

            “Why?” I asked curiously, struggling to keep up with him.

            “You need to be able to protect Rin.” He said, though I was hoping it would be more along the line of ‘because I care about your safety.’ I looked down and took a deep breath trying to calm down.

            He stooped, turned, and met my gaze sternly. “You are quick. That won’t be enough every time.” He added, and I was surprised to hear the small compliment. My mind flew back to the time when we had raced up the mountain. I looked at him expecting the smile that was on my face but it was only a line as always. I had never seen Sesshomaru really smile, even though there had been a couple times where it looked like it, but it was probably just my imagination.

            I nodded my head and we continued to walk far from Ah-Un and the others. I heard a sudden rumbling sound and looked ahead of us to see a bear demon eating…eating something. Sesshomaru stepped aside and waited for me to pass. “Aren’t you going to-“ the bear demon interrupted me suddenly when he stood up, his mouth bloody.