Up the Mountain

I fluttered my eyes open and looked up through the canopy of trees above. It was early morning, and the sun was casting orange and yellow against the sky. The air was starting to warm up, and I knew that we would be flying the rest of the way up the mountain to the temple his mother was at. I sat up against Ah-Un and looked around. Rin was still sleeping and the embers from the fire were barely visible. Jaken was against the tree, drool hanging from his mouth as he was wrapped around his staff like a teddy bear. I flicked my eyes over to Sesshomaru who was sitting against the tree with his hands stuffed into his sleeves and his legs crossed.

            He was looking at me and I blinked my eyes a few times to make sure I was seeing him right. “Oh…good morning.” I said standing up and stretching. I wasn’t sure, but it almost looked like his eyes widened a tiny little bit when my top came up, revealing my whole stomach and the tops of my pelvic bone. I stopped mid-stretch and looked at him, slowly putting my hands back down to my side. He turned away like he had never been looking. I smiled slightly and stretched my arms the other way and then rubbed my eyes and ruffled my hands through my hair.

            I took out my red ribbon and let my long flowing silver hair fluff out around my body. I looked over at him again and noticed he was looking at me yet again. When he noticed that I looked at him he stood up and turned around and started walking. “We need to get moving.” He stopped and turned his head slightly as he talked and then started walking again. I gave him a smile but he didn’t seem to notice. I tied the ribbon around my wrist and crouched beside Rin.

            “Rin…” I said softly and placed my hand on gently of her shoulder and shook slightly. “It’s time to get up.” I said as she turned toward me with sleepy eyes. I pulled my hands back and placed them on my knees.

            “Mom…” she said blinking her eyes. I tilted my head at her and pulled my eyebrows together.

            “No…it’s…me. Yuzuki.” I said and she sat up and looked around surprised. Her eyes seemed so bright for a second and then they turned dull as she realized she was in the middle of the forest. She turned toward me and the light returned to her eyes. Her cheeks turned up into a smile as she closed her eyes and giggled.

            “Oh hey Lady Yuzuki! Sorry I had a dream.” She continued to smile as she sat up and started rolling up her bed.

            I stood up and watched her with sorrow. I didn’t know much about Rin’s past other than she had been attacked by wolves and died. Like me, she was revived by Sesshomaru’s sword Tensaiga. I didn’t know anything about how Rin came to meet Sesshomaru. “Wake up Jaken, Rin.” I said as I used my cloth wrapped foot to put dirt on the fire. She nodded as she put her bedding in the satchel that was hooked to Ah-Un. Ah-Un was up and looking around and watched Rin walk over to Jaken with her happy face as she shook him until he woke up screaming.

            “Rin! Don’t scare me like that!’ he whined.

            “Master Jaken,” Rin giggled. “You are such frady cat.” She laughed and skipped back over to Ah-Un. I shook my head at them with a grin and leaned against the tree. I could hear Sesshomaru walking back and he was carrying a small cloth which had something wrapped up in it. He held it out to Rin and she took it delightlfully. “Thank you Lord Sesshomaru.” She beamed at him and he nodded and turned around.

            “Will you be okay to fly.” He turned his eyes toward me and I nodded even though I wasn’t sure. “Then let’s get moving.” He said and started walking.

            I held up my hand and he stopped and looked at me impatiently. “Um…I was actually wanting to go to the hot springs with Rin really quick. I can hear and smell the water. It isn’t too-“