Chapter 6- Weak

Naida's POV

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until I woke up with a pounding headache, resting on my side, on the grass of the clearing. I groaned as I slowly sat up, holding my head with both hands. I fluttered my eyes as a sudden sensation of weakness and disorientation hit me.

It was already getting dark, night falling over our planet and Hayden was nowhere to be seen, so I started wondering if it wasn't all a dream and after all I had fallen from the tree and passed out.

"Oh, shit." I mumbled as another bolt of pain hit my head.

Suddenly I heard a branch snap, my body reacting on instinct, crouching into a defensive position, immediately regretting doing so when my legs failed me and my balance was gone.

I stumbled sideways, barely making it to a tree, holding myself onto it.

I gasped and panted, pressing my eyes together and opening them to focus.

My body was swiftly lifted by two arms and I sighed in relief when the sparks ran across my skin. So, it wasn't a dream after all. Thank the moon.

"You okay there, sweetheart?" I heard a deep voice chuckle, sending shivers down my spine, my lips barely able to hold a weak smile.

"I don't know." Even my voice was weak. I was too tired to say or focus on anything.

I lifted my head a bit, my eyelids slowly falling again, my consciousness fighting to stay awake.

I could see him frown in worry and confusion.His beautiful silver eyes were studying me closely.

He quickly sat down, making me groan and grab my head again at the sudden movement.

"Oh damn, I'm so sorry, angel. What is it you have?" I cringed at my feeling of weakness. No wolf liked feeling weak or sick, no wolf liked being so vulnerable. It was even worse if he or she didn't know why.

"I honestly don't know..." I couldn't say anything else, even my voice failed me now. Anguish took over me as one of my hands flew to my throat, panic starting to show.

I wondered if he could mindlink, and decided to give it a try.

"I can't even speak." I focused on his face, praying it had worked.

He seemed taken aback by the sudden intrusion into his mind.

"How did you do that?" he furrowed his eyebrows together.

I mirrored his expression.

"You have never mindlinked before?" I linked him, not able to find my lips anymore.

"No, I lived with humans my whole life, I'm the only one of my kind until now. And I don't have a wolf, so I couldn't have possibly known, right?" He smiled weakly back at me, his arms holding me tightly.

"Good point. Every wolf knows he or she can link other wolves." I whispered into his mind.

"But going back to you. You aren't well. Is there anywhere I can take you to?" his voice began panicking as his hand pressed my forehead and cheeks to check my temperature.

My eyes fluttered a bit.

"The castle is near. You only have to take me to its borders so you don't get caught." He nodded hesitantly.

"I could always shift to show them that I am a wolf too. No one should know besides the royal family. And you of course." he said as he got us up, his arms never loosing its grip on me.