2 8 : p r o p h e s i e s · a n d · c u r e s

Paris: 

I woke to sunlight streaming in the room. It was almost midday, but considering what had happened the night before, I wasn't surprised that I had overslept. Elsa slumbered away, her bare shoulders peaking shyly from beneath the covers. Her long, pale hair was spread out among the pillows, unbounded, and her face was relaxed. I had to force myself to look away. 

As silently as possible, I slipped out of the warm bed, and hissed at the exposure I felt, making me feel vulnerable. I dressed in a tunic and and threw on some black tights before slipping out of the room, making sure to shut the door quietly behind me. 

As I walked down the hallway alone, I couldn't help but think about Elsa. But I forced my thoughts away from the Queen of Arendelle. Yet, I couldn't shake off the sadness that plagued me- sad, because Elsa would never return my feelings. And the rational part of me screamed that I was better than chasing after a girl who couldn't be caught, that I was better than being someone's fuck buddy. I was High Prince, I had a Realm to run, I couldn't have time to be distracted by a girl. 

The butler, Clys, was not happy. "Sir," he said in an annoyed, but respectful tone, "the Duke of Kario has been waiting for three hours in the sitting room, and he is not happy." 

I spared a look at the spirit butler as we rounded a corner, "And what excuse did you conjure?" 

He cleared his throat, "I said, that you were overseeing the land of Arendelle and would be back in the afternoon." 

I raised an eyebrow, "So, you know about Elsa..." 

Clys flushed and he muttered, "Well it was, ah, quite loud last night, you see..." He trailed off awkwardly. 

Sighing, but too occupied to be embarrassed, I responded, "Well too bad for you, Clys." The flustered butler pushed open the doors to the sitting room, and I was met with a scowling and impatient Duke.

"Apologies for the inconvenient," I said with an lethal smirk, "but it seemed that there was a quite urgent problem in Arendelle that had to be resolved."

The unhappy Duke raised an eyebrow, "What exactly, was the urgent problem?" I began walking toward my meeting room and wordlessly, the Duke followed. Clys trotted behind to keep on. 

"I don't believe you waited this long just to ask me that, Jakob." I pushed open the door to the meeting room and said to Clys, "Dismissed. Please escort Duke Jakob out when he leaves." 

Clys bowed silently and stepped out the room, closing the door behind. 

We sat down on the fancy chairs and I waved a hand, motioning for him to speak. Jakob pursed his lips, "This is regarding my land, High Prince, you see-"

I stopped the Duke with a sigh, "Aren't you supposed to report these things to my father?" 

Jakob didn't look happy to be interrupted, "Recently, in my land, and in several others too, may I add? Farmers report that their lands, the wildlife is polluted by dark magic overnight. Crops are dying, your Highness, and we believe that, well, the Great Prophesy is beginning. Your father believes that this is a lit and points the blame at the farmers." 

I kept a neutral mask planted on my face and tried to keep the worry out of my voice as I sighed, "Well, what on earth does this have to do with me?" 

Jakob bowed his head, "Your Highness, there is rumor that you have extraordinary magic. Please, your people beg you to help us find a cure." 

The Great Prophesy beginning? Could that mean that Evelyn finally began her plans to destroy the world? Fear that I hadn't felt in a long, long time began to rise to the surface. 

"You want me to help," I crooned, playing the part of my reputation. 

The Duke of Kario nodded, his head still bowed, "Please, High Prince, please." 

I leaned back, "Very well. I have looked into the Great Prophesy, and I suspect that... Evelyn Tremaine may have knowledge that can help us with the remedy. bring her to me, and you'll save the world." I didn't outright accuse Evelyn just in case mob justice was brought to her. No one deserved that type of death. 

The Duke bowed, sobbing gratefully, "Thank you, thank you High Prince."

I just looked at him with a nonchalant expression, "Dismissed. Clys will show you out." 

As soon as Jakob left the room, I dropped the facade and left the meeting room, strolling to my bedroom. This changed a lot of things, I need Elsa's words. Hell, even her touch would give me the comfort I needed. But when I pushed open the door to my bedroom, Elsa was gone, and a letter sat on the middle of the bed.