0 2 : s o r r o w · a n d · a n g e r

Evelyn: 

Cinderella's dress:

Cinderella's dress:

Her eyes were bright with happiness and her smile radiant

Her eyes were bright with happiness and her smile radiant. Ella was stunning, and showed off her true beauty. At that moment, when I saw her, no words could describe the pride that I felt. Unknown to everyone, she only had her eyes on one person- her lover. 

Besides me, the Prince, like all the others, had stopped dancing, and the orchestra. "I found her," He whispered, starstruck. "Excuse me, ma'am," he mumbled to me and left me alone on the dance floor, strolling toward Ella Cinder, of all people. I hissed in a breath as Ella's eyes searched the quiet crowd for her lover.

Prince Charming opened his mouth, "Ma'am, may I take this dance?" His voice pierced the silence that had settled over the ballroom. Ella bit her lip, hesitantly, and sensing she really had no choice, she nodded timidly.

Shakily, the orchestra started up and almost hesitantly, so did the chatter. My eyes hunted for the sight of Ella's lover, remembering all she had told me about him as we chose a dress out of my meager collection.

And then, I saw him, just as Ella had described him. He was stunning, though his eyes were obscured by shadows of his hat- but I didn't miss the slumped shoulders and the sorrow he radiated. The man moved quickly to the exit and disappeared into the night. And I could obviously see Ella wanted nothing more than to chase after him, but she just clung onto the Prince, her face distraught.

My gaze slipped to Cinderella's feet that shyly peaked out of my dress. Those were my only pair of glass slippers and they were a little too big sadly, with some tissue paper stuffed in front. Amber had left the Duke to stand by my side, "Hey Eve, isn't that your dress?"

I nodded, but didn't explain. I couldn't, not without getting Amber red hot angry. And if Amber was unstable...

"Don't worry, we'll get her back." Amber whispered in my ear, her fingers clenching her wine glass a bit too hard. I smiled forcefully, wishing that for once my sister didn't stand up for me. I was wrong, it seemed.

She steadied herself and marched right up to the dancing couple, "Excuse me?"

The pair broke apart, and the music stopped, for the second time. Prince Raymond's face annoyed while Ella looked afraid. Good, the darker side of me whispered at the sight of the Prince's face. What type of bastard left a girl on the dance floor?