0 5 : p r o m i s e s · a n d · l i e s

Evelyn:

According to Amber's map, we were close to Henderville, a town renowned for their money.

"Are you sure there's an inn?" I asked Amber as we walked.

"Yes, according to the crow I sent," She sighed and twirled her fingers. Her pointer finger lit up and she dodged a thorn bush- or rather, the thorn bush dodged her.

"What's with it, with you and crows?" I asked her. Even as children, I had never understood why she preferred crows to other birds. She snorted, "Well, it is believed that crows are servants of Chaos, and they respond best to our urges." We had taken the shortcut, which unfortunately, dipped dangerously close near the Fall Realm border, which meant danger was everywhere. Danger, and the past. 

Half an hour of tense silence later, we approached the back entrance of Henderville. 

Amber looked at me, "Ready?" I nodded and with another twirl, she glamoured us into women of a high class. With that effort, her eyes drooped and she almost fainted. "Shit," I swore as I caught her.

"I'm fine," She muttered, half conscious. 

"Like hell you are," I transferred Amber some of my energy before we walked through the gate. She stood up straighter while my eyelids suddenly felt heavy... I shook the grogginess away and followed Amber into the town.

The night air smelled like lavender perfume and the streets were lit by pink lamplights, creating a rosy effect. The faint sounds of an extravagant symphony could be heard from here- the opera house lighting up in the distance.

Henderville's Inn was a rather big and lavish building. "Where are you going to get all that money from?" I breathe out, staring at the inn.

She made an impatient noise, and pulled me along. Inside was as stunning as the outside, if not more. Amber's expression was all seriousness and determination. Only once had I seen another place that could compete with Henderville's beauty... and I had not seen that place for years. 

Her words with the clerk were forceful and urgent, as if she was late. With a pouch of gold coins and a promise that we would be gone before noon tomorrow, she whisked me off into our room on the second floor. As soon as we reached the room, Amber fumbled with the key, "Evelyn, look. I'm sorry."

I sighed, "What is it now?" From the looks on her expression, she looked almost... scared. I hadn't seen her scared for a long time. Not since... that fateful night nine years ago.

"No, it can't be." I exclaimed, shoving the door open, "You can't possibly have call him, of all people-"

From behind me, a voice drawled, "Who else would she've called, darling?"

~

The three of us sat, drinking herbal green tea that had been brought up not so long ago. It sat untouched as we sat in silence bathed with tension. Finally, Amber spoke, "I'm sorry, Evelyn, but she left me no choice." 

I sat back in my chair, "You said it was last resort, Amber. You should know better than to strike deals with him."

"You know, I'm still here," He said, leaning across the table to look at me, "The name is Rumpelstiltskin, young Evelyn, your favorite sorcerer."

The infamous sorcerer had rich brown locks and enchanting dark eyes. With the pale skin and malevolent gleam in his eyes, no one would mistaken him for anything but extraordinary. Tattoos embossed his skin, mysterious and dangerous. 

He was slender, yet he had muscles, and that arrogant tilt of his jaw sent tingles of hatred down my spine. But not even I could deny that he was handsome- perhaps the most handsome man I've ever seen. "I'm aware." Was all I said.

He continued looking at me when he said, "Amber, be a darling and go fetch me a drink at the diner two blocks away. An iced lemonade would be....refreshing." Amber quickly lifted her skirts and left, not before threatening, "Hurt my sister, and I'll castrate you."

 As soon as the wooden door closed firmly behind her, I casted a cool gaze on Rumpelstiltskin, "So, what do you want from me?"

He leaned back, a smirk on his face, "Why would I want anything from you, bella?" But I didn't miss the curious and alarmed gleam in his eyes. For what, I didn't know.

I stood up, "Get to the point, sorcerer, what do you want?"I gritted out, pouring all my cranky exhaustion in that line.

Rumpelstiltskin smirked, "Maybe one night with you, love." Suddenly, a force pushed me forward and I stumbled and fell into Rumpelstiltskin who caught me as he stood up. I barked, "No." Then, I proceeded to tell him exactly where he could shove his bullcrap.

His eyes danced, "Why not? You have a special someone?" Rumpelstiltskin was dashingly handsome and he knew it. Few woman would deny him. "Or maybe it's your virtue?" 

I jerked myself away from him, "Or maybe I don't want to be with you." Which did happen to be true. Gaston's choice still stung in my heart. He smiled, revealing perfect teeth, "Don't be ridiculous, I'm everybody's dream man."

Just then, the door burst open and a red faced Amber came back, the lemonade shaking on the tray she was holding, "Eve, we have to go now. The Charming soldiers are here in Henderville, looking for us."

Her dark eyes flew to Rumpelstiltskin, "Leave us, and I shall call for you again later."

Rumpelstiltskin smiled, "Ah yes, but where is your end of the deal?"

Amber held her hands out and an dark orb appeared, "Here."

Rumpelstiltskin smirked, "Ah Amber, foolish little Amber, no, that is not just the price for bringing down Ella."

"Wait, what? What does Ella have to do with- Stars, Amber, no. No one deserves to suffer under the hands of him." I pleaded with my sister, who ignored me.

Amber looked bewildered as Rumpelstiltskin snatched the orb of magic from her, "You lying son of a-"

"This Promised Orb is the price of me agreeing to listen to your idea, Amber. The price for raising hell is so much more than a promise of a child, Amber darling. You must also give up your sister."  

A/n: Finally! I manage to update after two whole months! *throws confetti*