0 3 : s p i n n e r s · a n d · c r i e r s

a m b e r

Evelyn was quiet for the duration of the trip

Evelyn was quiet for the duration of the trip. I didn't blame her- it took less than 24 hours for hell to break loose. Many saw Eve as a fragile girl- they were wrong. 

Those people saw only what they wanted to see, what Eve allowed them to glimpse. Evelyn's poker face revealed next to nothing- years of brutal court lessons taught us that. Tentatively, I asked, "Eve? Are you alright?" 

My younger sister snorted to herself, but still revealed nothing on her face. I spotted a clearing, and nudged Eve, "Wanna rest?" 

Self loathing pierced my heart- Evelyn would truly hate me if she had known what I had done, my intentions gone wrong. I had woven a simple enchantment spell around her blue ball gown, expecting her to go with that dress but when Ella showed up in it, the Prince immediately fell in love with her. 

I wanted to throttle Ella so badly it almost hurt.

My sister nodded and we reached the clearing, collapsing. If I had to guess, we had walked about five miles through the woods.

We sat on the forest floor, in a small clearing, sunlight peaking shyly through the thick leaves and branches. Eve was staring at the map, contemplating to whichever place we could escape from Ella's wraith. She was always the calm one, anyway. 

I just lifelessly picking grass, my thoughts taking me far far away, as if I could escape reality.

"Just spit it out, Amber." Evelyn murmured, her gaze lingering on the Fall Realm, and snorting to herself. Even we weren't that desperate to flee to the Fall Realm to hide. It was well known that the Fall Realm was a Realm of danger and deception, a Realm I had no intention of returning to.

"I... you will hate me for what I've done." I whispered so softly even the ever patient branches seemed to strain closer to hear. 

"What more," She asked softly, "could you have done to stop Ella from humiliating us?" No judgement on her face- no, she was never the type of person to do that, though, was it sarcasm in those words? I shook those poisonous thoughts away.

Before I could lose all confidence, I blurting out, "Eve, look. I've... I've been practicing dark magic with a few of my... friends."

She blinked, "W-what??" And that was all the emotion she showed.

I took a sip of water from our canteen and sighed, "I started again about four months ago. When things started to get better for us. The thing about dark magic is that it's addicting, but it is so powerful. You know that, don't you? The side effects though... I can't neutralize it without a powerful amplifier. " I paused, "I'm willing to do everything for you-even if it means damning my own life."