1 3 : c u r s e s · a n d · b l e s s i n g s

h a d e s

I watched in stunned silence as a beautiful girl slammed open the doors and crashed the arrogant Prince Charming's wedding. In my opinion, he totally deserved that. 

Next to me, Persephone frowned, as if trying to put that face with a name. She didn't have to. The Prince snarled, "Amber." 

The girl, Amber was beautiful, yes, but awfully familiar, now that I thought about it. 

"Hello Princeling- didn't you get my letter? Don't look so surprised

"Hello Princeling- didn't you get my letter? Don't look so surprised." Amber cooed. Across from me, Lady Evelyn had gone as still as stone, but her face was expressionless, revealing nothing. 

I was sure my poker face was on too, and my magic was on edge, sensing for danger. 

It was a habit- one I didn't care to discard. 

You see, when I was 12... one night was all it took for me to lose my family. 

Mom....I could barely recall her face now, but she had that charming laugh that caught the eyes of many in court, and her eyes always held a hint of mischief. Both Aveline and Amberly, my two younger sisters, had also perished that night....

Father was never the same. Aveline was his gem, and Mom, his everything. When they had perished-so had a large chunk of his soul. And in the following years, he ruled the Autumn Realm up it's reputation, so strict that even the smallest crime had brutal consequences. 

From the corner of my eye, I didn't miss Paris subtly reaching for his lady, and how Evelyn Tremaine took his hand and squeezed. 

"Get out." The ever charming Raymond barked, his guards rushing forward at his command. Idiots- weren't they supposed to do that as soon as Amber had entered? But that didn't matter. 

With a wave of her hands, the guards were thrown back from an invisible force. Amber grinned, "Oh Raymond, you and Ella darling really shouldn't have fucked with my family." So the bride's name was Ella? Well, she did look like an Ella. 

Ella spoke for the first time in the 15 minutes I had known her, "Please, Amber, you don't understand-" It seemed to be the wrong thing to say, because whatever twinkle of dark humor faded and Amber smiled in a way that would've sent men running for the hills. 

"I don't need to. As for my wedding gift?" Amber purred. At this point, the bride had gone pale white, and she visibly inched behind Raymond, who brandished a sword as if it would be the key. 

"No," Ella begged. 

"Well, Ella, in eight months, you'll see what I'm talking about," Amber replied, as a wisp of black smoke escaped from her finger and reaching across the room, surrounding the bride's vulnerable neck and squeezing. 

"Amber Tremaine- get the hell out of my kingdom-" Raymond boomed, and Amber mockingly curtsied at the bride who was rapidly losing her oxygen supply and the groom who was red faced, and vanished, releasing Ella. 

Amber Tremaine. That would mean she was Evelyn's sister.

Evelyn Tremaine had gone even paler, and yet, her face still revealed nothing. Meanwhile, Ella gasped, holding her stomach. "Is there a problem, my love?" Raymond all but snarled at the bride. Well of course there was- Ella had just been close to dying and had her unborn baby's life threatened. 

She turned away and shook her head, "Just a little dizzy," She lied. Like the idiot he was, Raymond believed the lie and started yelling orders at his men. 

"Well, I guess this party is over," Paris sighed, but to his credit, he looked shaken up and disturbed. Evelyn muttered something to him so low I didn't hear him, but at last, her mask cracked and she was clearly furious at my best friend. 

Paris's eyes turned cold and he replied something that made Evelyn grow even more angry. She opened her mouth to shoot something back, when Persephone spoke, "So, what's up with your sister?" Always the peacemaker.

Evelyn glared at Paris, "That's all your fault!" Paris quirked an eyebrow, anger radiating off him, "Mine? You little sniveling piece of-" Persephone interrupted him, "Hey, cool it- people are starring." 

I had rarely seen Paris so worked up and I reached out to him, "Hey Paris, remember when I said that girls thought you were hot when you were angr-" 

He snapped, "Not now, Hades."  Then he gave Persephone and I a strained smile, "Excuse me and Lady Evelyn, we'll meet up another time, I'm sure." Then, he grabbed Evelyn's arm and they finished, leaving behind a cloud of black smoke.

"What was that about?" I murmured to Persephone as we stood. She frowned, "I don't know. The last time I saw Paris so angry was...with Helen." 

I sighed, "Well they have their couple problems to solve, but us? What do you think about ditching this piss poor wedding and heading back to the palace where we can tumble in bed?"

"Sounds like a plan," Persephone giggled, as I Jumped us back into my room