1 4 : f i g h t s · a n d · a m e n d s

e v e l y n

Even before the winds of the Jump cleared, he snarled, "Stop blaming me for all your problems, Evelyn."

I snorted as we appeared in the dining room, "Your bargain cost an innocent's life. How could you aid a revenge seeking monster out to the world?"

"Who knew you'd call your sister a monster?"  Paris sneered. I loved my sister, I swear to the Stars, but even I wasn't ingenious enough to think that Amber was a good, kindhearted person. She had an abundance of anger and hatred to release to the world, and it wouldn't end with Ella.

"When the world is crumbling, I know for sure to blame you." Flames danced at my fingertips- purple flames, hellfire flames.

"Just because you don't want to blame your sister who is always right?" He retorted, his lips turned up with disgust.

I smiled in a way that sent most men running for the hills, a side I rarely showed to anyone, "No, because I know she's in the wrong... because of you." Spinning on my heels, I marched back to my room, leaving behind a seething Prince.

As much as I hated to admit, Paris was partially right- I kept blaming Paris because I didn't want my sister... to be the villain.

With a groan of frustration, I wandered over to the beautifully crafted oak table and composed a letter to my sister, hoping she could read my rushed and sloppy handwriting. 

"Lacey? Paige?" I called as I sealed the letter

"Yes, ma'am?" Lacey murmured from behind. I pinched my brows and sighed- I could feel a headache coming on. Stars, I couldn't wait for a nap.

"Could you deliver this letter to Amber Tremaine, Lacey?" Lacey fidgeted, but nodded. When she vanished, I turned to Paige, "Tell Paris I won't be having dinner with him today."

Paige nodded and vanished as well. Finally, alone with my thoughts for company, a happier memory came to mind as I dozed off...

n i n e  y e a r s  a g o

"Mom, do I look pretty?" I frowned at my reflection. The dress Mom  had made me wear was pretty, yes, but stars, it was hot.

Amberly frowned, her dress not nearly as extravagant

Amberly frowned, her dress not nearly as extravagant. In my opinion, she was prettier than me anyway.

Of course, I could see the clear as day envy in her eyes as Mom fussed at my dress- leaving her out

Of course, I could see the clear as day envy in her eyes as Mom fussed at my dress- leaving her out. Whatever happiness I possessed faded as Amberly shot me a look that clearly read "you ruin everything."

I flinched, and Mom cursed under her breath as my movement had her needle piercing in the wrong part of the dress. Grumbling, she undid the weave and continued on "tweaking" the dress.

As Mom finished with her tweaking, the door burst open, breaking the tension between Amberly and me, revealing Hades and Father.

"Shade!" Mom cried, leaping into Father's arm, tripping over her dress in the way. Hades grinned at us, "You look beautiful, little Princess," He cooed at me. Grinning, I replied, "Of course I do, Hades."

Amberly pressed her lips together, "And what of me, Princling," She outright sneered at Hades. Hades smirked, "As always, you look decent, sweet Amberly."

Amberly turned her nose up at us and left without another word. Hades made a face, "What's wrong with Amberly?"

I casted him a side glance, fiddling with my gloves, "Girls like to be complimented, Hades."

He frowned, "But I was just joking. She knows that...right?"

I sighed, giving my older, yet more idiotic brother my full attention, "Look, I'm sure Amberly is sick of being the middle child... she wants attention, really. All of us do. So, Hades, why don't you actually say something nice when we meet again for the stupid ball?"

Hades chuckled, "Oh what would I do without, sis?"

~

Persephone was absolutely stunning. And, she knew it. I turned to see my brother openly gaping at my best friend from her table and I snorted, "If you like her so much, why don't you marry her?"

Mom overheard and began to scolded, "Aveline! That is not how you speak to your bro-" Father interrupted her with a wave, "Oh Victoria, let Avery have her fun." They kissed and I frowned at Hades, "Did you speak with Amberly yet?"

He shook his head, "She's talking to Derek, I don't want to spoil her mood." He pointed with a gloved hand at my smiling sister and the son of the King of Galadornia, a small country located a few miles from the heart of the Fall Realm.

"Derek's ugly," I remarked, because it was true! The heir to the Galadornia throne looked just like his father at the age of 13, and was the split image of his eyesore father. Hades frowned, "Avery, stop being so mean."

Rolling my eyes, I stabbed the fork into the nasty salad, "I know, I know, not everyone has my beauty."

"What beauty? All I see is a bunch of arrogance?"  Hades retorted, picking up Mom's champagne glass and taking a sniff before cringing and returning the glass to the table. Music began to flow-

~

"Look, Eve- oh stars, I'm so sorry!" Paris's voice woke me up from my light sleep. It took me a few seconds for everything to hit me as I opened my eyes, blinking at the light, "What is it that you want, Paris?" I mumbled, too lazy to face him.

I didn't give a damn as to how I looked. My hairstyle must've been ruined already, makeup smudged, and dress wrinkled. Turning my head, I saw a myriad of blue hues smudged on the pillow. Well shit, my face must have looked like a painting palette.

Paris stepped forward, hesitantly, "Here, let me fix tha-"

"What do you want?" I snapped, jerking back instinctively. Was it just me, or did a flicker of hurt flash through his eyes? Must be just me.

"Will you have dinner with me?" He asked softly, his lips pulled back in a charming smile.

I gaped at him, "Paris... you woke me up from a lovely nap to ask me to eat with you?"

He nodded, a phantom wind tucking a loose curl behind my ear, "So will you?"

I could've said no. I could've said a million nasty things to hurt him. But... something inside me begged me not to forever shatter our relationship, especially since he tried so hard, and I finally nodded, "Get the hell out so I can change."

Paris's eyes lit up and barked a laugh, "That was easier than I thought."

I snarled, "Out!"