Lost in Stereo.

Shake down on a Saturday
Sit back, gotta catch my breath
'Cause every time I see her
I know she's gonna take it back somehow

"Dad!" Elizabeth shouted. "Dad! DAD! DAAAAAAD."

Her Father sat with eyes unblinking, staring into space. Tear tracks lay stained on his cheeks. He looked like a crumpled tissue, left at the bottom of the rubbish. Alone. Abandoned. Elizabeth waved a hand in front of his face, pushed him a little. Nothing. Her Mothers photograph lay on the table, creased and shriveled up with the times it had been held.  She gently placed her hand into his and he came to life at her touch.

"Oh..." He whispered, voice crackling. "Hello, darling."

"Have you eaten today?" Elizabeth asked.

"Erm..no, I don't think so." He replied, eyes cast to the ground. Elizabeth sighed.

"You know, you really should go to the docters." She said it mildly, hoping it would change his ways for the thousandth time. He looked at her then, really looked at her, not just seeing through her. His eyes blazed and his voice became louder, hoarse with emotion.

"That place was the death of your Mother." He was nearly shouting. "They could have saved her, she could have been saved. She would still be here now, she wouldn't be dead, in a narrow grave. If it wasn't good enough for her, how could it be for me..."

He went on and on, his words tangling into one at the severe emotion. Then he just stopped, his voice cracking, before bursting into tears. He held his head in his hands and sobbed. Elizabeth didn't know what to do, never did. She just linked her arms around him, holding him like you would a newborn baby, whispering soft nothings into his ear. After what seemed like hours, he slowly sat back down on the old sofa and closed his eyes. Elizabeth tucked the worn patchwork quilt over him, before slipping upstairs. Her phone lit up and she picked it up, seeing the now familiar message icon blinking. She opened it up:

Hey. Just checking how your doing today, is your Dad any better? Alex

She stroked the keyboard, choosing her reply carefully.

Hi. Same as always, sometimes I just wish I had the old one back. Elizabeth

 It had been weeks since she had seen the mysterious Alex. She missed him. Yeah, she knew it was crazy, she'd only known him one night. But that one night she had felt more alive than anyday after her Mom died. Then she lay back on her bed, knowing that school was just hours away. If hell was real, this was it. It seemed like only minutes before her alarm clock was telling her it was time to get up. Her hair stuck up all over the place and her face looked like a bombsite. She pulled on her ugly uniform, bright green tie, white shirt, black blazer and black trousers. She tugged the brush through the tangles and splashed some water on her face, before opening the hallway door. Instantly, the smell of vomit hit her. She edged along the corridor, scared of what she would find this time. Her sisters bedroom was ajar and she peeked inside. Libby was sprawled over her bed, wearing last nights clothes. Makeup was smudged all over her face and her hair was streaked with sick. In her hand she clutched an empty bottle. Other bottles lay scattered all over her room and her ashtray was full to the brim. Elizabeth swallowed her revolt and quickly closed the door. She would deal with her later. She ran downstairs and out of the house, calling a hurried goodbye to her Dad as she went. He didn't reply. She pulled her headphones out of her backpack and began the walk to school. Everytime she did this she would get a sick feeling in her tummy, knowing what was coming. As she neared the gates of Merryweather Academy, she heard the taunts begin to start. Fag, ugly, emo.

"What's she wearing?"

"Look at her face, what a weirdo."

"Heard her sisters a druggie and she's probably one as well.."

"Loser."

"Sicko."

"We should teach her a little lesson after school, would you like that Lizzi?"

"She should go the same way as her Mom.."

Elizabeth balled her hands into fists and quickened her pace. The usual lessons, words and numbers that didn't make sense. In one ear, out the other. The usual pranks. Chewing gum in her hair, bag goes missing, stationary gets stolen. All the things the teachers didn't see. The bell finally went for the end of school and she didn't know what to do. She knew what was coming, it happened everyday. She covered the bruises, she tried to blank out the pain. It was normal now, she didn't try to fight anymore. She exited the gates and walked towards the corner. Out stepped Liam Cresswell and his cronies. Liam had hair that was razor short and piercing blue eyes. He had a ring on every finger and a stud in his tongue. This stud gleamed as he smiled at her, that menacing, horrible smile. He reached out a hand and grabbed her hair.

"How you doing today, girly?"He asked, in a fake nice tone. "Got any of them pills to share?" His friends all guffawed.

"Look at you, you stupid girl, you ugly bitch." His tone got harder. "Shame you didn't take after your Mom eh? You'd be ten feet under by now."

Elizabeth snapped. Her fist reached round and punched him. For one moment he looked shocked. Then his eyes blackened and he slapped her, hard, round the face . Elizabeth's legs crumpled beneath her and she fell to the ground, barely feeling the kicks, the punches, the poundings. I'm going to die now, she thought. I'm going to get it. She closed her eyes, ready to accept death as her friend. Suddenly the beatings stopped and she could hear raised voices and thudding as things hit the floor. Looking around her, she saw the bullies lying face down on the pavement. Above her crouched a figure, a figure clad in a familiar black hoodie.

"Alex?" She muttered.

"Elizabeth, are you okay?" His voice was like a drug to her, addictive. Something she'd been craving for so long.

"I've been better." She responded, before gradually trying to get to her feet. Alex lifted her up in one strong motion and placed her gently down. His hood was up. It was almost like a wall, that wall that he obviously didn't want to see behind. Elizabeth was okay with that, for now. But one day, she would see behind that wall and she would see the person behind it. "How did you find me?"

"I was waiting for you, by the school gates." He responded. "It was meant to be a surprise. I thought that you had already gone home but then I heard loud noises so I came down here and I found these scumbags, beating the crap out of you."

Elizabeth looked down. "It happens every day." She said, without a trace of emotion. She could feel his eyes burning into hers. His hand passed over her cheek, tenderly stroking the bruise there, before locking his hand with hers.

"Let's get you home."

So I hope you guys liked it, please please fan and comment! Again this is dedicated to Elizabeth Brimble..<3