Running From Lions.

Don't forget, we've got unfinished business,

Stories yet to unfold,

Tales that must be retold,

And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness.

Elizabeth climbed into the ambulance, her sister following behind in her battered old car. Her hands were shaking, clamped to the edges of her seat like super-glue. She watched as the ambulance crew crouched over her Dad, the hysteria as they put a oxygen mask on his face. She didn't know where to look, where to turn. It reminded her of her Mom's death so bad it hurt. After what seemed like hours, they arrived at the hospital and her Dad was pushed away. She was told to sit down and not to worry by a kindly nurse, offering drinks, messages of support. She refused it all. Libby bulldozed into the corridor, dyed-blonde hair falling messily around her shoulders and a wild look in her eyes.

"Liz, liz!" She near-shouted, panic creeping into her voice. "Where have they taken him, where is he? HELLO, where is he?"

"Calm down." Elizabeth replied, though her voice sounded not calming, but mute, robotic. "Sit down." When her sister didn't respond, she repeated it, yanking her down roughly onto the chair. Her sister stared at her in shock, tears quickly filling her eyes, but she turned around so Elizabeth wouldn't see them fall. Elizabeth felt bad and thought about saying sorry, but she had no more comfort to give. Every so often her sister would get up to go to the toilet or grab a snack from the vending machines, but she stayed rooted to the spot, unable even to move from shock. Finally, a white-robed docter approached them.

"Your Father is in an extremely critical condition and he is very lucky to be alive. However, he seems to be stable and we are doing everything we can." He said, gravely.

"Can we see him?" Libby asked.

"Well, he isn't meant to have any visitors.." The docter started, her face paling at the look on Libby's face. "Erm, only for five minutes, then you must go." She led us down to a room, where my Dad lay. Wires threaded out of him like some sort of computer and his hair was a tangled mess atop his head. The only sound was the beeping of the heart monitor.

"I will return very shortly."  The docter said and hurried out the room. Libby sank down to her knees by his bedside, kissing his limp hand and gently stroking his hair.

"Daddy?" Libby she whispered. "Daddy, can you hear me? Dad, I love you. I love you so much. Please, me and Liz, we need you."

Tears fell onto the floor at Elizabeth's feet. She still hadn't moved from her spot. All she could see was Libby  kissing his hand, his hair. He looked like a corpse already. No. She couldn't take the pain. Quickly she leant over and kissed his forehead, murmuring her love and a hurried goodbye to her sister before exiting the hospital, her eyes burning and her chest heaving. She debated getting her sister to drive her home, but the thought of charging through those bleach-smelling corridors and seeing the horrible sight of her Father on that bed turned her against it. Calling a taxi, she was soon on her way back home. This is what I do, she thought. I run away from things are too painful, because it's easier. But it always catched me up in the end. She buried her head in her hands, letting the sobs build up in her throat. When she finally entered her home, she didn't even know what to do. She was alone, so alone in this empty, empty house. Grabbing a sweeping brush, she slowly swept around her Father's couch, beating the cushions and straightening the old blanket. She inhaled the sweet, musty smell of her Dad, fighting back the ever-present tears. She decided the only thing left to do was to go to sleep, so she headed upstairs and into her bed, letting Davey curl up by her feet. Just the feel of his warm heartbeat when she brushed his fur was enough to calm her a little and she finally settled down.

                                                             ********************

She opened her eyes and instantly panicked at the strange arms that were wrapped around her. She felt the brush of hair against her cheek and hardly daring to breathe, Elizabeth looked around. Staring back at her was Alex.

"Hey baby." He whispered.

 He reached up, stroking her cheek. Neither said a word. They stayed like this until Elizabeth was sure the hospital would be open. Dressing silently, she confirmed her sister was still asleep and they headed up to the hospital, huddled together in the taxi. Her breathing kicked up a notch as they walked through the doors, enough for Alex to notice and he slipped his hand into hers, stroking his thumb against her fingers tenderly. She silently thanked him with a look of gratitude and made her way to her Dad's room. A nurse was re-arranging a set of flowers someone had brought him and she looked up expectantly.

"Oh hello, deary." She said, smiling. "You must be Mr Ivy's daughter I believe?" Elizabeth nodded. She noticed Alex reach into his bag and he brought out a carefully-wrapped present.

"This is for him." Alex said, handing it to the nurse.

"Oh, how lovely." The nurse chuckled, placing it by his bedside. "Mr Ivy's condition is still fairly critical, but he is indeed stable. I will give you some privacy." She smiled and walked out the room. Alex sat on one side of the bed and Elizabeth the other.

"He seemed a lovely man." Alex smiled sadly. "He was so sad though, locked up in himself." 

"He was.." Elizabeth muttered. "And me and Libby didn't do anything to help him, it's our fault he's here!"

"Hey, hey don't beat yourself up about it." Alex soothed. "It's not your fault." 

They linked hands again. All at once, Elizabeth felt like this wasn't the end. She could get through this and so could her Father. Reaching down, she hugged him, careful of the wires. She could feel the weak pulses of his heart through the thin hospital gown and she quietly whispered:

"I love you papa, I love you. Forever and always."

SOOOOOO CUTE. *Insert awwww here.* Thank you so much guys, especially my Elizabeth and Molly<3