6|Little Blue

"So how do you sign 'what's up?' "Bryan ask.

We've moved from the kitchen to the backyard. Teenagers still stood about in little groups, and sitting around the fire pit beside the house.

I slowly sign the phrase so he can see everything I'm doing.

He tries to sign it back, his tongue poking out between his teeth as he concentrates moving his hands the right way.

"Like that?" He looks up from his hands connecting his eyes with mine. The small smile wipes from my lips as I look between his eyes and hands.

I hold up an awkward thumps up indicated he did it correctly.

"How about, 'give me some pizza'."

I shake my head, smile still intact as I sign his request.

"Hey baby!" A voice slurs from the door step grabbing mine and Bryan's attention.

The voice belonging to Nicole Shimmerman, the clichè captain of the cheerleading team, except she's not dating the captain of the football team i.e. my brother. The funny thing is, my brother doesn't give her the time of day making Nicole's vital attempts to grab is attention depressing. Having no friends gives you a lot of time to spot certain things people try to hide.

She pushes herself from the door frame and drunkly stumbles over to Bryan and falls on his lap.

"Nikki, what are you doing?" Bryan sighs holding her up from falling over.

"I came to see you, I lo-" before she can finish her sentence she jolts up and runs to a near by bush and empties the contents in her stomach.

Bryan releases a breathe before getting up to help Nicole.

Watching him hold back her hair and massaging her back I decide our convocation was over and made my way back inside.

The house looks more packed then it did a hours ago. Rowdy teenagers crowd around a beer keg cheering on a guy with the nozzle in his mouth.

I make my way past them and into the living room to look for Maggie.

Coming up short on finding her and my brother, I walk out the front door and sit on the porch swing.

The music is muffled by the door but I can still feel the vibration form the bass rippling through the floor boards and the chains of the swing.

Releasing a breath I relax back into the cushions watching some of the jocks push and shove each other up the steps and into the house.

"Why the frown little blue?" A relaxed voice mumbles taking my attention away from the boys to another one leaning against the front porch.

His shaggy blonde hair pushed behind his ears and what looks to be a rolled up joint hanging from his frowning lips.

I shrug my shoulders and give him a half smile.

My eyes follow him walk up the steps and sit by my side on the swing. A weird smell tingling my nose as he wiggles around to get comfortable.

His elbow bumps my side making me turn my head in question only to see the burning paper between his fingers.

I raise my eyes to his, his bushy eyebrows rise up making wrinkles appear on his forehead as he again gestures the joint to me.

I shake my head with a polite smile and decline his offer making him shrug his shoulders and taking a long drag.

We sat in silence, swinging gently back and forth as we watched
people stumble out the door carrying their intoxicated friends to their cars.