Chapter 40 - Make this last

Derrick's P.O.V

I throw my keys onto the counter and grab a beer out of the fridge. I take a sip and I hear heels click across my floor.

"Hey there." I take another sip looking at Elizabeth.

"Hi! How was your first day back? Were any kids mean to you?" She fake pouts and I force a laugh.

"Only a few." I wink and she wraps her cold arms around me. I flinch and push her off.

She looks at me confused and I rub the back of my head. "Sorry, it tickled." I lied.

She giggles and I cringe. It's not my favorite laugh.

"I'm going to round some things up for tomorrow and then I'm heading to bed."

"Okay." She says while texting on her phone. I roll my eyes and head upstairs. I open one of my desk drawers in my study, searching for a pen. I move some things around until I come across a Polaroid picture. It's of Ally asleep while cuddling my dog, Charlie.

I smile and shake my head. "If I didn't fuck it up, she'd still be mine." I whisper shoving it to the back of the drawer.

*

"Okay, class so I know you've all heard the news. Yes, I will be your new principle. But, I will still be your teacher. We are done with the subs and tedious packets." Everyone smiles and he winks.

"I knew you all missed me." He said and everyone laughs. I would've found some sort of humor in this situation if he wasn't looking directly at me as he said it.

"Okay, let's get to work." He claps his hands together and I pull out my notebook.

After forty-five boring ass minutes in his class, I get up to walk out. "Miss Brooke's. Come here." I stop and look around the room slowly. I hesitantly walk towards his desk. After everyone is gone he looks at me disapprovingly.

"It appears you are breaking dress code. Your dress isn't covering your shoulder completely." I look at him shocked, but then frown when I see his smirk. He was kidding.

"You're an idiot." I scoff and he throws his head back laughing.

I watch him and knit my eye brows together confused. "What are you trying to accomplish here? You obviously made it a point that you're so 'madly in love'. So why are you talking to me? We aren't together. We aren't friends." I spit and he stops laughing immediately.

"I just thought-"

"That you could come back here after all you did, threaten to expel me and my friends if we told a soul about what you've done, and that everything would be all rainbows and butterflies? Well here's a little snippet of reality...you royally fucked up. You hurt us in ways we will never be able to come back from. Your act may be believable to everyone else, but I'm not fooled nor convinced. So you can shove your jokes and attempts to be my friend, up your delusional ass." He looks at me shocked and I huff, walking out of the door.

I feel good. That felt good. Stick it to the man, even if I still love that man. I hate myself for ever loving such an asshole.

I bump into a hard chest and I look up. "Oh, hey Ash." He smiles and pulls me in for a hug.

"What it do, baby boo?" I laugh and snuggle into his chest.

"Just being a boss ass bitch like normal. What about you?"

"Headed to the pool to meet up with some fine chicas." He smiles and I frown.

"Oh, well have fun." I give him one last squeeze and let go. I walk to my car and turn on the radio. I think a drive will do me some good.