Prologue

August 5th, 2020

I was sitting on the couch, watching tv when the door got open and Jessica walked in. I smiled to myself as I saw how big she's getting, because she suppose to get in to labor in less than a month. Yet, her face were pale as if she saw a ghost. I couldn't tell if it was just one of her pregnancy mood swings.

"Is everything ok baby?" I asked. She walked towards me in silent, and sat next to me on the couch. I turned the tv off, turning all my attention to her.

"I just came back from the doctor..." She started. I sat there quietly, listening. She immediately hugged me tight and started crying on my chest. I hugged her back and stroked her hair. "What is it Jess?" I whispered to calm her down.

She let go of the hug and wiped her tears, sniffing. "He said..." she whispered, hardly taking the words out of her mouth. "He said what Jess?" I asked, now concerned.

"He said that there is a chance only one of us will survive... And if so..." She whispered.

"It will probably be her."

September 14th, 2020

I held her hand tight, not willing to let go. She screamed, cried, and struggled. Struggled so hard, knowing what can come. She was weak, and the process of giving birth wasn't making it easier.

"Bruno" She said with so much pain. "Jess you can do it baby, it's almost over, she's almost out!" I said, trying to encourage her, tho I knew she wasn't doing good. She shocked her head as the tears fell down her face. "She will live, but I won't." She whispered. I shocked my head rapidly. "No no no no," I said. "Don't say that! You both will survive." I said, letting tears leave my eyes. She let out a sad smile, as if the pain started to go away from her. "You'll be such a great father. I'm counting on you. I love you and I always will." She said. "I love you Jessica, I always will." I whispered with tears.

The grip of her hand lost mine, but I still didn't let go. Her eyes turned blank. "We lost her." The nurse said. She was just laying there, lifeless...

Suddenly, crying and screaming filled the room. I looked at the doctor. In his hands, a small little baby covered in blood and crying. They washed the baby and covered her in pink little clothes, then gave her to me.

As I held her, she stopped crying. Her little eyes were open, showing a brown colored eyes. She was examining me, her eyes wandering all over my face, causing a small smile appear on my face. Gosh, she is so adorable.

I held her with one hand, the other one still holding Jessica's hand. I looked over to Jessica, a small hope in me left that she will wake up any moment. But no. She laid there like before: not talking, not moving... Not breathing.

I looked back at the little baby, who was still examining me. My hand parted from Jessica's hand all of a sudden. I looked back to her and saw them covering her with a white fabric, leading her out of the room. The baby started crying, as if she knew,

She just lost her mother.