The Tryouts

Zay's POV
I was so high strung today; and I knew it to. My friends probably hates me right now but it would all be worth it once I got on the team. "Hey bud!" Lucas greeted, patting my back. "Yeah hi." I responded. He looked confused. "What's up with you man?" He asked me. "Nothing's wrong with me dimwit, I'm just trying to get in the right mindset." I snapped. He put his hands up in defense, "sorry man." He said. He doesn't understand. This doesn't mean as much to him as it does to me. He doesn't get how much I need this. I repeated these things in my head, trying not to get too aggravated with my best friend. "You remember my brother David?" He asked. I nodded vaguely; still trying to keep in the tryout mindset. "Funny thing. He wrote me a letter." "Really?" I asked turning toward him. "Yeah. He wanted me to come down to Texas. Told me to bring you and anyone else here." He told me. "Are you gonna take him up on it?" I asked. "Well I mean i don't know, he did abandon me when we left for New York." God I wish I could tell Lucas why his brother stayed in Texas, but I know Mrs. Friar wouldn't let me within one hundred feet of Lucas if I ever did so I simply gave him a little nudge. "Well I mean maybe there's another side to the story." "Hmm I guess you're right. Maybe he had his reasons." "Come on dude, we gotta get down onto the field." I told him and he followed after me.

Lucas's POV
"Ok guys that's it for today. Results will be posted on Monday morning. We want you guys to know that if we don't pick you it's cuz we don't like you. And if we do pick you we're going to work you until you are all dripping in sweat. Five days a week for two hours a day. We will work you for every last second of those two hours. Ok? Great talk! Have a great weekend everyone!" Wow. The coaches here were harsh. Zay and I headed into the locker room. "Should I call him?" I asked "Who?" He stared at me blankly. "My brother!" I told him. "Oh yeah, go for it man!" He told me. I shook my head playfully. What was going on in that kid's head?

Farkle's POV
"No Zay today?" Sam asked me as I walked in. "I don't think so." I told him. "Ok then, you have fun. Let me know if you need anything." "Ok." I replied cautiously, I've never been hit on by a guy but if i had to guess, that's what it'd sound like. I headed over to the weight room and lifted for a good two hours before heading over to teach some lessons for Zay. He was right: the people there really can inspire you. Sometimes it's hard to see those people as Farkle Minkus. That's why I needed a part of me to always be Donny Barnes.

Zay's POV
Farkle got back at around eleven "hey man thanks for having me here but I think I should go." He told me. "Why?" I asked. "Well I've seen how people with less than me get by. I'll definitely be coming to this part of town a lot and I have a new view on the world. Wasn't that the whole point of this?" "Yeah but I mean---" "plus I don't really want to bother your mother any more than I have to. I'll send you guys a check for all the meals I got while I was here." I smiled. I really had changed him. "You'll be a great leader one day." I told him. "Thank you." He replied, "and so will you."

Lucas's POV
I was lying on my bed deciding whether or not to call my brother when I got a text.
Farkle- Zay told me about your decision. I say you'll never know if you don't try.
With that I grabbed my phone and typed in the number

A/N::: I know this chapter is a bit shorter than I normally post but I didn't want to ruin this ending. Also I'm super sick and tired today but I still have to go to school! (Wrote this on 3/29/17) Love you all! Xoxo -Emma

Song-"The Boys Are Back" by Troy and Chad from High School Musical 3