The Lecture

Zay's POV
"Black Lives Matter." Mr. Matthews said writing the words on the board. "Daddy what does that mean?" Riley asked. I saw a folded up sheet of notebook paper hit my desk. "Shouldn't she be calling you daddy?" I saw and immediately looked at Lucas who shrugged in response. "Well maybe one of your piers can answer that, Zay?" "Why? Cuz I'm the only black kid here who's name you know today? Ok fine. Well Riley, the police are going around and shooting unarmed people because they're apparently considered threats but lots of people, including myself consider it hate crime because all of these unarmed men shot by the defenders in blue are African American. I walk to school everyday scared for my life and whenever I see a cop I put my hands up. You guys laugh at me for it, but I do it cuz I don't know what's gonna happen if I don't. This movement is a big deal to me because the people who are supposed to be protecting me are the ones I live my life afraid of." I told her. Riley looked shocked. I knew that all of us were supposed to protect her from everything bad but did she seriously not know about death?

Riley's POV
Wow. How do these things happen? How could people consider someone like Zay a threat just because of the color of their skin? He's so nice I don't understand it. He decided to retake algebra one just so that I wouldn't be alone when maya moved on to geometry. He's one of the nicest people I've ever met. Something was seriously wrong here. The bell rang and we headed to Science. "Is that really why you do that?" I asked as Zay came up. He nodded "oh Zay I never knew!" I said, my eyes getting watery. "It's ok Riley. I'm ok." He assured me, pulling me into him. I buried my head into his chest. "I'm so sorry" I weeped into his shirt. He put his hands on my lower back and pulled me tighter. It's not your fault Riley." He said again, "it's just life." "It shouldn't be." I told him finally leaving his arms. Our teacher gave us the things we could buy and how much they cost and we picked all of the things we wanted for our children."wanna come over tonight so we can work on the project? I also need tons of help with math." I asked him. "Umm sure," he told me, "but I can't stay long. I need to be home for dinner." He told me just before the bell rang for Algebra.

Zay's POV
I walked into my math class to see Riley sitting at her usual seat in the back row. This is the one class she isn't the center of attention in; it really lets me see a different side of her. Just then a folded up paper hit my desk. "Do you understand any of this?" The note read with a dotted i. "It's pretty much all logic." I wrote. I looked over at her before passing the note; she squinted at the board as if that would magically give her all the answers. I too in her beauty for a minute before tapping her on the shoulder and giving her the note. She smiled as she grabbed it out of my hands. I stared st her while she wrote. She gave it back to me and I took it gladly. "I'm sorry you're stuck in Algebra 1 with me. You deserve to be in geometry with maya and Lucas." I smiled, Riley is such a caring person. She always wants you to be happy. I didn't want her to feel alone in this class so I asked to retake this class so she'd have a friend. Mr Matthews pushed it through. Probably not good for college but I didn't really care. I'd do anything to make sure smiles never leave Riley's face for too long.

Riley's POV
"I wanted to! Lucas and Maya aren't nearly as fun as you." I read. Zay was so sweet to me. He always made me feel wanted. I felt so bad that he had to live in fear. I wish I could do something to help him. The bell rang and we headed to lunch.

Song-"Drops Of Jupiter" by Train