Sour Apple

A/N

Back in Nassau!

Now- How shall Elizabeth fix her issues with James Kidd?

Thanks to theredtail and some relationship generator- Elizabeth's and Mary's ship name is Elizary. XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jackdaw bumped up against the rough Nassau dock and Elizabeth waited eager to just escape the grand ship that she had spent the last two night on. She wanted away from James Kidd- and possibly forever. She knew he was only trying to do good by her, but perhaps she didn't want him to. James didn't have any right to care about her or pry into her life, yet somehow it made Elizabeth feel like life was worth living. Maybe she didn't always have to be alone or hide herself in her house...

No.

James Kidd was no exception, after Nathaniel, Elizabeth had always felt insecure around other men- and she shielded herself. She didn't want to be hurt. Yet in the process of protecting herself she had hurt someone else. She had been able to keep an abnormal calm around the two men for the past few days- but perhaps it was the fear that Nathaniel would catch her that distracted her from the two men's presence.

James Kidd stood near the end of the ship, looking over at the royal blue ocean that rolled beneath. A sigh escaping his lips as he tapped his fingers on the splintered wood. He cast a simple glance over at the brown haired girl. Anger bubbled inside him as he looked at the bruises lined across her neck and the way she held her obviously broken ankle while waiting to get off the ship.

He contemplated approaching her to apologize but decided against it when he spotted Edward Kenway coming up right besides her.

'Somethin's got Kidd in a sour mood,' Edward noted as he stood besides Elizabeth, his crew securing the ship next to the Nassau dock.

'I suppose it's me,' Elizabeth sighed, not taking her eyes off the sand of the beach.

'What happened?' he stared down at the girl with icy blue eyes.

Elizabeth just shrugged, not caring to explain the complications that had arose earlier.

'Well ye better fix them up real quick, lass. Kidd's the one taken ye to the doctors.'

Before Elizabeth could even muster an argument he strode away, leaving her by herself once again. Her green eyes wandering idly over to James Kidd, who was staring over the railing of the Jackdaw- seeming just as eager as she to escape it.

She would've spent her time being angry if it wasn't for the fact that she was mentally laughing at how Nassau- the town of pirates- had a doctor.

Remaining silent, Kidd finally strolled over to Elizabeth, no expression displayed on his tanned face as he jumped from the side of the Jackdaw and onto the Nassau dock before turning to assist Elizabeth. She avoided eye contact as she sat upon the wooden railing of the brig, attempting to keep as much weight as possible off her leg. The splintered wood dug through her pants, making her squirm uneasily.

James offered her his hand for the small jump, but she refused it- letting her own self-reliance get to her head. She placed her working foot on one of the holes for the cannons before turning herself around to continue her descend.

Her crushed ankle couldn't even be used as a support, so she quickly jumped, hoping that her good leg would fall into the next cannon hole.

It didn't.

She felt her heart jump into her throat as she felt herself lose all traction and tumble to the ground. Forgetting her bum ankle she prepped herself for the landing. 

Elizabeth felt strong hands grasp onto her side- and she near panicked, being reminded of Nathaniel, though that fear was replaced by sheer pain as her ankle hit the ground. Luckly, her body didn't follow.

'Shite!' Elizabeth exclaimed- immediately reaching for her leg- though James Kidd's arms around her side prevented her from doing so. A burning and stinging sensation ran up her leg as she cried out in pain.

'I could've helped ye,' James whispered in her ear silently, propping one of her arms around his neck, supporting her as she was no longer able to walk herself.

'Aye,' Elizabeth spoke simply, taking slow hops forward on her good foot.

Another awkward silence passed between them as they walked- or hobbled- as they made slow progress along the dusty Nassau rode.

'Look, lass,' James began, not turning to look at Elizabeth. 'I didn't mean to pry or nothin' just-'

'I know,' Elizabeth nodded, letting out a long sigh. 'You're a good man- I get it.'

'Well, aye, but-'

'Nathaniel is my problem, James. Not yours- You don't need to take care of my problems for me. I can handle it.'

'I don't need to,' James paused. 'But I want to.'

'There's no need for people to get hurt because of me- I was the one who made the mistake of jumpin' the broom with him.' Elizabeth shook his head slowly, her green eyes cast down.

James stopped suddenly, turning Elizabeth so he could look directly at the girl.

'Don't think any of this is your fault, lass, cause it ain't,' he spoke firmly, keeping a hold on her arm so she wouldn't tumble over. 'It's been Nathaniel's fault since the first time he laid a finger on ye.'

She just stayed silent, knotted hair blowing in the light breeze, as she just stared at the lad in front of her.

'Do you think he'll be back?'

James shrugged before positioning Elizabeth's arm on his shoulder.

'Can't say,' James accented words rolling off his tongue.

'What will we do if he does?'

'I don't know what to tell ye, lass- But I'll be sure he doesn't do that again.' James pointed his finger at the bruises on her neck.

Elizabeth was a bit confused for a moment, trying to figure out James had known who had inflicted those marks, though she supposed it was obvious after all.

The rest of the walk to Nassau's supposed doctor was filled with silence, until Elizabeth mustered a single phrase.

'Thank you.'