Well, Shite

A/N

So, after a long night of rereading my story, beginning a new playthrough of Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and getting back into a writing groove - here I am! Sorry it took me so long >.< I feel uber bad, but I don't intend to make you wait that long ever again-ish.. My writing style might've sort of changed? But if it did it's for the better. Alrighty, here we go!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elizabeth stood still, time seemingly stopping around her. Three men laid dead on the ground, blood stooping from their lifeless bodies as Elizabeth stood, her mouth parted slightly as he green eyes darted aroud the area. Edward stood a ways off, posed with his hands square on his hips as he shook his head - knowing that James/Mary was well screwed. There was no way she was getting out of this and the look on Mary's face.. well, it said it all.

"Edward-" Mary breathed, whirling around, the bandanna clutched in her palm as she looked towards the blonde pirate. She was helpless, she sounded helpless.

"I.." Edward started, frowning. He shuffled slightly in the dry Nassau dirt, dust kicking up slightly. "Lass, I told ye this would happen-"

"Shite, man!" she exclaimed, throwing the red fabric to the ground in an agitated rage. "I ain't daft, Edward - I know, okay? Christ, man - I know."

Elizabeth just listened, her hands now folded behind her back as she glued her eyes to the ground. She was confused and hurt and not sure exactly what was happening as she contemplated wheter she should be crying, yelling, or running away. Focusing her green eyes on the lifeless bodies of her attackers, she parted her lips - finally looking up at her savior and whispered, "..James?"

Edward looked up first, his bright blues bouncing between Mary and Elizabeth. Mary stayed still, her back still towards Elizabeth, the lass she had come to know so well, the lass Mary would risk her life for, the lass.. Mary thought she maybe loved. Another bought of silence followed and Edward finally stepped forward, preparing to nudge his pirate friend. 

Before he could, Mary flinched, shook her head and finally hissed out, "I ain't- I ain't.. My name isn't James, lass, aight?"

Elizabeth's brow furrowed in confusion, though nobody could see her expression. Edward's eyes were projected down and instead of focusing in on this.. awkward and possibly heartbreaking reveal - he concerned himself with the bodies. He began picking through the bloodied coats of the men, casting one last glance at Mary before brushing past her.

"Then what-" Elizabeth started.

"It's Mary, aye," Mary started simply. "I'm Mary Read."

"But-" Elizabeth began again, only to then be cut off - again.

"I'm Mary Read. I ain't no ex lover of Kenway and I ain't dead, yeah?"

"Ye lied?" The girl asked simply. Innocently. Hurt laced her tone.

"Of course I lied!" Mary quipped, finally whirling around to meet the hurt green eyes of the girl she had just saved.

The green eyed girl froze, taking in the sight that was Mary Read. Elizabeth hadn't wanted to believe it - maybe this was all one big joke. But the minute she laid eyes on Mary.. she knew. Mary bared a striking resemblance to the man she had known as James Kidd - which was expected, seeing as Mary had been posing the entire time. The same brown hair that had once splayed from the top of that red bandanna was not settled at Mary's shoulders and Elizabeth took slow and deep breaths. Her bottom lip quivered and she wasn't sure what to say.

Mary looked on and then down, frowning slightly.

Edward continued to peck at the dead men laying besides them, slowly beginning the process of disposing of the bodies.

"..I had to,' Mary finally spoke up.

Elizabeth just shook her head.

"Ye coulda told me!" Elizabeth countered. "Jaysus, Ja-Mary! I-"

"I couldn't!" 

"And why not?"

"'Cause I couldn't, aight!?" she sneered, grabbing at the bandanna that was crumpled at the pirate's feet. "I never intended for any soul to hear 'bout it! No one shoulda known." Mary passed another look towards Edward, a sort of anger flowing through her.

"You were never gonna tell me, aye?" Elizabeth responded. "What did ye expect? That I was gonna.. go along with this? Never find out?!"

"I woulda come up with somethin, lass-"

"I thought we had something-"

"We did!"

"Jaysus, Mary! I loved ye!"

Another silence fell over the group. Mary and Elizabeth were caught in this.. tense silence. And Edward finally stood, stuffed some Reales in his pockets and turned, his Assassins robes twirling at his feet. The pirate was done listening to this. It was better to give the two some time. The blonde started his own retreat.

"Where- Where are ye goin, Edward!" Mary spoke, using it as an excuse to turn away and lood at the blonde. 

"The tavern,' he responded simply.

Mary almost chose to respond, but Edward waved her off, shaking his head as he retreated down the dry path.

She turned back, trying to catch Elizabeth's eyes.

"Lass, I'm-" Mary sighed.

"Don't," Elizabeth responded, beginning to turn away.

"Elizabeth!" Mary called and the green eyed girl froze. She stopped. "I'm sorry, aight? I never.. I didn't..."

"Ye didn't what, aye? You're just like Nathaniel," she hissed, frowning. "Yer a lyin' fool, that's what you are! How did ye think this was gonna work out? Ye weren't gonna tell me but ye still expected me to love you anyways - yer an idiot, Kidd- Read, whoever ye are! And I can't.." Elizabeth's voice cracked and she sniffled slowly before taking slow steps backwards. "This is.. this is all wrong. I never shoulda come here. My life's been nothin' but lies since I stepped foot on this pirate perverted piece of land."

It was Mary's turn to be frozen, held stock still in this sort of.. regretful silence.

You're just like Nathaniel.

"I'm not- I'm not like Nathaniel!" Mary forced out, gripping tight to the red bandanna as she gritted her teeth together.

Instead of answering, Elizabeth just stared and blinked before sniffling again and shaking her head.

"How?" was all she asked.

"'Cause.." she hesitated, the corner of her lip twitching. "'Cause I actually.. Oh, shite, Elizabeth. I love you," Mary finally forced out before spinning on her heel, not wanting to hear or see Elizabeth's reaction.

Elizabeth stood still, her whole being frozen once again as she watched Mary storm off, slowly messing with her bandanna and her hair before becoming James once again and disappearing towards the tavern. Her green eyes dropped to the dead men once again and a short sigh escaped her lips as she, herself, turned to and slowly, she made her way back to her house. She'd deal with this later.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there you guys go! I apologize for some mistakes, I don't really have any editors or anyone but myself.. .-. I'd also like to thank you all for the support <3 Thank you for reading and commenting and voting - I love love love the feedback and votes you give me! Hope you enjoyed, I know you've been waiting - and I know it may not be super satisfying, but everything happens for a reason! :)