Nathaniel

*A/N*

I'd like to thank my kitten for stepping all over my keyboard while I was typing- a round of applause for him!

Plus, I kinda got just a smudge of inspiration from @bellasnotdead oneshot about James Kidd:)

Another thing- There is some light abuse in this from Elizabeth's past life, it won't be to in depth or take up the entire story because it's kinda uncomfortable to write about and I don't know how my reader will react. But it does explain why Elizabeth fled to Nassau.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'You're leaving Nassau?' Elizabeth looked at James Kidd, her brow raised as she stared at the pirate.

'Not forever,' James explained, fiddling with his bandana again. 'I'll be back- I've no where else to return to.' His beaded locks were reaffirmed in his bandana as he stared up at Elizabeth.

'Really?' Elizabeth questioned, finding it hard to believe that James had no other place or town to call home, but then again neither did Elizabeth. There had been a place once, though it had been a couple of years since she had last called it home. She shakes her head quickly and inconspicuously as she awaits Kidd's answer.

'Nassau's my home,' he answered, setting a steady hand on the pommel of his sword, using it as an arm rest. 'Now I'm just trying to figure out why it's yours.' he smirked, beginning to move past her. 'But like you said,' he drew his head closer to his ear. 'A different story for a different day.' She felt his hot musky breath against her ear and could only hope that the dark of night masked her obvious blush.

James winked before smirking again and continued his way past her and out of the dark alley. His sword swaying to the beat of his stride. Elizabeth restrained herself from following him- from asking him when he was leaving or if she'd see him again. She just watched breathless as he sauntered away, hand on sword, beaded strands of hair bouncing up and down as he walked. Elizabeth didn't mean to stare... She honestly couldn't help it.

Kidd glanced over his shoulder, finding that she was still watching him, he smiled to himself before looking straight ahead again, though he couldn't stop himself from calling out to the girl.

'Stop drooling, lass! I can see ye starin'!' James laughed to himself before heading in the direction of the tavern.

Elizabeth turned a deep shade of red before turning on her heel quickly, she wiped her sweaty hands on her filthy skirts before walking in the direction of her small Nassau house.

Hiking up her skirts for what seemed like the millionth time she continued down the dirt path, growing continually tired as she traveled. Hoping to arrive home with no implications this time she hurried, the darkness also driving her back home. She could still hear the faint songs drifting from the tavern by the time she set her eyes on her small house. It was filthy like all the other houses in Nassau, but she coudn't argue with the price of the home.

Elizabeth hurried up the wooden steps, they creaked as she put her weight on them. Opening the door somewhat quickly she entered her home.

'Took you long enough.' The voice was painstakingly familiar, bringing back not so pleasant memories.

Elizabeth froze. Her front door shut behind her, leaving her trapped in her house with him.

'I told you I'd find you.' His shadow emerged from the dark and into the dim light of the lantern.

Nathaniel.

***

--A Year Earlier--

'I can't handle this, Nate!' Elizabeth cried, hurriedly packing what little she owned in her small bag.

The big, burly man watched almost helplessly as his heart broke in his chest, he didn't know what to do.

'Elizabeth-' he began, taking tentative steps forward, outstretching his arm.

She slapped it away.

'Please, just listen-' Nathaniel spoke, trying to get her to listen.

'It's too late for excuses, Nathaniel,' Elizabeth turned to face him.

'Just give me a second chance.'

'I've given you a million second chances! Yet it always plays out the same way! You've never ever tried to change- '

'I will this time!' Nathaniel pleaded, reaching forward and grabbing her wrist forcefully, pushing up the sleeve of her dress. Both pairs of eyes landed on the exposed dark purple bruises that ran up her arm. Elizabeth looked away from him, shoving him away as she turned to finalize her bag.

'Elizabeth...' He pleaded.

'Goodbye, Nate.' Elizabeth left the small bedroom that they had shared, descended down the stairs of the house they had purchased together. She didn't really have a plan, just to get out of Havana. Readjusting the bag on her shoulder she headed for the front door.

Behind her the pounding of heavy footsteps sounded, she didn't even have time to look back before two sets of heavy hands clamped around her sides- hard. She yelped, dropping her bag and clawing at Nathaniel's hands.

'I'm not letting you leave me- Not today, not ever,' his menacing voice scared her deeply.

Elizabeth panicked.

She brought her elbow back quickly, it connecting with his face. Nathaniel's head shot back and his grip on her loosened. She bolted, her brown hair falling from it's bun. She grabbed her bag and headed for the front door.

'I'll find you,' Nate stuttered, grasping his bleeding nose. 'I'll find you!'

Elizabeth rushed out of the house quickly, leaving him behind.

His words rang dangerously true, she would need to go to the last place he'd think of.

Nassau. She was headed for pirate country.

***

'Nathaniel...' Elizabeth said softly, staring at him in awe, amazed that he'd even managed to find her.

'Didn't think I'd find ya, aye?' he replied, staring at her, a tint of anger reflecting in his hazel eyes. He was heads taller than her, looking uncomfortably intimidating.

She shook her head silently, too afraid to think straight. Her breath was choppy as she watched him tower over her, slowly attempting to move between her and the front door.

'Why... Why are you here? What do you want from me?' Elizabeth's hand clenched into fists besides her as she watched Nathaniel ease his way around her.

'Like I said,' he murmured, staring at her. 'I'm never letting you go. We're heading right back to Havana- Back to our house.'

'And if I don't want to go?' Elizabeth sputtered out in fear, staring at Nate.

'Elizabeth,' he cooed. She cringed. 'A bit more stubborn than before, I see.' He reached down to his waist, revealing a rather shiny and sharp blade. 'Let me just suggest this beforehand, I don't think you want to argue.'

He lunged towards her, gripping onto her arm tightly.

'We leave now.'

Before the pair could even make it to the front door a knock sounded.

'Lass, ye there?'

James Kidd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This shall be the only update for today:( But don't you worry, soon we'll get into the good part. And that means more of the incredibly smexy James Kidd/Mary Read ;)