Sponsers and Careers

I wake up to the sound of the waterfall. I get up and go outside, it is a beautiful day. I glance back into the cave to see Rory still sleeping soundly. I walk around and look at the scenery. There's a small lake with a waterfall and rocks and trees. I hear the sounds of mockingjays singing songs. Mockingjays are the result of the Capitol mutation male Jabberjays and female mockingbirds.

I remember when I was little, I used to hear my father sing to the beautiful creatures. Sometimes when I was out milking Lady, my goat, I would sing and the mockingbirds would sing back. I miss home.

The sound of a cannon going off brings me back to reality.

I walk around and pick some shrubs and berries. I find what seem to be turtle eggs and bring them back to the cage.

Rory wakes up with a smile.

"Good morning," he says.

"Good morning sleeping beauty," I say with a laugh," sleep well?"

"Yes, this bed wasn't the best though, haha."

"Yeah I know, we can't go anywhere since your side is cut. Maybe I can get some moss later and make up a softer bed for you."

"Sounds good! So is there anything to eat?"

"I picked these," I say holding out my hands revealing the plants," and I found these, I think there turtle eggs," I say, pointing to the eggs.

I split up the shrubs and berries among us both. We both eat half of what we're given along with the liquid substance inside the shells.

"How's your side?" I ask when we are both done.

"It's ok, I guess. Still hurts."

Just as if on cue, I hear a faint beeping outside. It has to be a gift from a sponsor. I go outside to see a small tin can with a parachute attached to it. I grab the can and bring it inside.

"Look! We got a gift!" I say.

"I wonder what it is."

"I bet I know!"

I open up the can to see a little jar with a gelatin-like substance inside. It's Rory's medicine! It

came!

"It's medicine! For your side!"

I put a generous amount on Rory's side and watch the cut heal itself. Wow, the Capitol has some amazing medicine. we must I gotten a very generous sponsor, this medicine must of cost a fortune.

Rory gets up and walks around.

"This is amazing! I feel great!"

"Well, since you're better now let's start moving. We need to get to high places."

I throw my bag over my shoulder and we both head out. We swiftly, but quietly, walk through the forest. We finally come upon the banyan tree I found yesterday and we both climb. we reach a high sturdy branch to sit and relax.

We are talking about home when we hear footsteps. We turn around and see a group of four people with weapons running. Two females, two males, but one of the males has a bandage over his left shoulder. They stop and look around.

"We need to get higher," I tell Rory," don't make any noises."

We both start climbing the tree. We are as quiet as possible. But then, it happens. Rory grabs a beach that is too thin for his body weight. It cracks and breaks causing Rory to fall. I grab his hand just in time and pull him onto my branch. I watch the limb fall to the forest floor. One points in our direction. They all look and their eyes crawl up the tree.

It's the careers...

And they've found us.